What's the rule on dropping hcp?

Mandofred

Visit site
I was 9.8 until Wed when I shot 79/39pts. I usually expect to come down about .2 per shot under hcp (still waiting on results). Is there a cut-off depending on hcp? I assume low hcp drop about .1 per shot under and higher hcp drop .3? for each shot. Is there a set amount for each level of hcp?

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yea - 0.1 below 5.4, 0.2 from 5.5 to 12.4, 0.3 from 12.5 to 20.4, 0.4 20.5 to 28 are the main reductions - all against CSS not SSS.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was 9.8 until Wed when I shot 79/39pts. I usually expect to come down about .2 per shot under hcp (still waiting on results). Is there a cut-off depending on hcp? I assume low hcp drop about .1 per shot under and higher hcp drop .3? for each shot. Is there a set amount for each level of hcp?
Was it medal or stableford? What is the par and SSS or CSS?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yea - 0.1 below 5.4, 0.2 from 5.5 to 12.4, 0.3 from 12.5 to 20.4, 0.4 20.5 to 28 are the main reductions - all against CSS not SSS.
Pity the poor sods on 5.4 then! ;)

And FWIW...Initial cut - until CSS, therefore actual cut, is known - should use SSS as reference.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stableford....kind of a charity thing. Held Wed and Thurs. Par 72. I think the sss is 73.

If you are correct then you have played 4 shots better than your H/C so the self adjustment would be 4 x 0.2 not 3 x 0.2, either way if you play another comp before results are published then playing off 9 is correct.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Well, now I'm confused. Results out today and I dropped from 9.8 to 9.4. So 3 shots under my handicap and I came down .4
Then CSS on the day must have been 1 under par.
(Which also means that SSS can't be 1 over par as you previously suggested - CSS can only ever be 1 less than SSS).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, now I'm confused. Results out today and I dropped from 9.8 to 9.4. So 3 shots under my handicap and I came down .4
I am puzzled about the figures in your OP
Are you measuring you score against the CSS, SSS or Par.

If you have come down 0.4 that suggests 2 (net) strokes under CSS.
Your net differential (+ or -) is the difference between your net score and the CSS.
It is not related to par.

Mandofred

Visit site
Well, the things I KNOW.
1. I was 9.8
2. I shot 79 on a par 72 course.
3. 39 stableford pts.
4. I'm now 9.4
Other than that...the things I'm pretty sure of...... I'm pretty sure Trump is nuts. If you fall off a cliff you will probably get hurt. If you stick a needle in your eye, you won't like it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, the things I KNOW.
1. I was 9.8
2. I shot 79 on a par 72 course.
3. 39 stableford pts.
4. I'm now 9.4
Other than that...the things I'm pretty sure of...... I'm pretty sure Trump is nuts. If you fall off a cliff you will probably get hurt. If you stick a needle in your eye, you won't like it.

It keeps being said 'ignore the par' for handicap purposes use the SSS before the result is published and look at the a CSS when it is published and work out your differential to those figures.

'Handicaps' do not care what the par is for a course only the SSS and CSS.

From from your figures CSS on the day in stableford terms was 37 points.

Mandofred

Visit site
It keeps being said 'ignore the par' for handicap purposes use the SSS before the result is published and look at the a CSS when it is published and work out your differential to those figures.

'Handicaps' do not care what the par is for a course only the SSS and CSS.

From from your figures CSS on the day in stableford terms was 37 points.
So if I was the equivalent of 37 points.....(which is one stroke under my hcp)...shouldn't I have come down .2 instead of .4? Ahhhh....whatever.......I guess there is a plan to the madness.