whats the differential between pitching and chipping please

rapper88

Visit site
when does pitching become chipping and visa versa?is it chipping when your close to the green and pitching further out or can you pitch and chip around the green with different clubs? and is the stance and set up etc different?

B

birdieman

I would be chipping from 20 yards or so and in, any longer and it's a pitch up to 120 yds.
To help a chip is hit like a putt - no wrist break at all and it is played from the right foot with weight on left side often with a club that'll run out like a 7 or 8 iron. A pitch is played from the middle of the slighty open stance usually (not always) and involves some wrist cock and usually with a wedge, gap wedge, sand wedge or lob wedge.
That's probably all wrong but it's late in the day, I'm full of cold and I've had too much vino -Spanish for those who are interested.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
birdie is right....I would just add that I often chip from 30 yards or more! a chip keeps low, is normaly hit with the ball back a little (towards the right foot) with a less lofted club. A chip is like a putt in that the wrists don't get involved.

Dave

B

birdieman

Real is perhaps more accurate, some links players on hard fast running fairways may be chipping on from 60 yards out or more, it would still be a 'no hands' type of shot hitting ball from right foot though, even if the swing is longer.
I play inland softer mossier courses so tend to fly the ball more (pitch) rather than chip normally. Any chipping for me is closer to the green.
The choice of shot depends on the course condition and the wind factor i.e. you do not usually want to pitch hard into a strong headwind, better a chip under the wind - it's up to the player of course!
Confused? I am! :cool:

JonW

Visit site
So if I'm understanding correctly... Chipping has no wrist action at all (played like a putting stroke) and pitching normally involves some wrist action?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Because I chip so poorly, I would introduce the third choice of lob.
Chipping should not be as hard as it's always been for me.
It must require more practice than lobbing at the stick.
It certainly give one a better chance of holing out...if one is any good at it.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The actual difference between the two is, a chip will run further than it flies and a pitch will fly further than it runs. That's if you want a technical definition.
Not in the conditions we're currently suffering!
I've had plenty of chips that landed on a soggy green and stopped almost immediately.

Having to persuade myself to fly them most of the way to the hole at the moment.
Does that mean my 30 yard chips with a 7i are technically pitches?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pitch it up - normal iron stroke with some 'stop' and not much run
Chip it along - you'll want/expect to achieve some 'run'.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
people incorrectly term short pitch shots as chips. you can pitch a ball 5 or 10 yards with a lob wedge, that's not technically a Chip. A chip shot is basically best described as a bump and run type shot but with a sand iron or a gap wedge. It doesnt bother me if people use technically correct or incorrect terminology for either but I thought I'd give the answer to the question seen as nobody else had