What's NOT In The Bag

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Posting my WITB I added that my driver wasn't in there just now and thought it might make good reading if folks post What's Not In The Bag & why
(I don't mean all the extra/spare clubs most of us have lying around but just a club/s that might normally be there but you've either taken out or maybe replaced recently)

Nothing much wrong with my driver (it'll go back in sometime) but I got a new 3w and its quite different to the one it replaced, so I want to get used to hitting it off the tee and fairway as soon as possible. Taking the driver out means the 3w will get much more use (played a really long course recently and I swear I used it more than the putter and still got 36pts!)

Actually at a guess, in the month the driver has been out my average scoring has improved by a couple of shots

What's Not In Your Bag?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Relegated to my spare bag are a 58 degree wedge (Ping gorge wide sole) which is better for drier conditions and sand and has been replaced by a same degree wedge with a thin sole (less bounce which is working well in the damper sand and wet muddy lies. Also have the original Glide versions in 52 and 58 but again these are better suited to drier conditions. Also in there is a G25 3 hybrid usurped when I got the G version but which had made a brief reappearance when said G was misbehaving a month or so ago. Now we've patched our differences up the G is back in and G25 is on the subs bench. Also in the spare bag is a G25 driver. Nothing wrong with it other than I upgraded to the G. Again it has made brief reappearances, especially at the range when I tested it against the current incumbent but for now is sitting waiting for a recall I fear may never come.

I was such a tinkerer and anytime I had a bad round, wedges hybrids, putters and drivers (or a combination of depending on what had afflicted my game) would get changed if abandonment. Of course it was never the implement!!!

I did have a mad idea to drop my 4 iron and stick to 58 wedges with different bounce options for a few rounds!!!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Relegated a 60* vokey to the spares bag as it just wasn't being used enough (and I can make my 56* do pretty much the same thing). Replaced it with a T-MB 3 Iron for tight tee shots where accuracy is more important than distance..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No fairway woods in my bag. Used to have a 5W but found I never used it so no point carrying it around. It's now up on Ebay for sale.

I might even take the 3 iron out as well, I haven't really used it much since the summer. It's a graphite shaft one so I used it as a driving iron, which in summer was superb, but in winter it's not quite as effective.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They're still in the bag as there's room but my low(ish) bounce Vokwy wedges get less use in the winter if on soft parkland. Found I'm better pitching with my Pings with more bounce as they don't dig in

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
They're still in the bag as there's room but my low(ish) bounce Vokwy wedges get less use in the winter if on soft parkland. Found I'm better pitching with my Pings with more bounce as they don't dig in
See I am finding the opposite. I am nipping the ball better off wet and muddy lies with less bounce and it's giving better results in the damp sand. I guess it depends on strike and technique and what works best for the individual

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hybrids. None of the three I own are in the bag currently and none of them will be going back in either. Just can't hit them consistently and find my 3 iron much more reliable. I've persevered with hybrids for years as I like the option out of the semi rough but eventually you realise there's no point hitting them out of the semi if half the time you're duck hooking it into deeper rough anyway :ROFLMAO:

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
4 and 5 iron because I bought a 4 Hybrid I can hit much more consistently and driver because I constantly either slice it or get no distance so I'm leaving it out until I get some lessons to correct it.

Have enough space within the 14 to carry all 3 but just don't see the point.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Currently any iron over a number 6.
A SW but it will probably go back in now the bunkers have dried out.
Summer golf balls.

I have a range of wedges, both loft and bounce, and they get swapped according to the conditions and course being played.

Wolf

Visit site
Callaway V Series driver, I still like the look and feel of it but got the Cobra I use now for a steal in AG brand new and after trying it there is no chance of it coming out for a while.

Soon to be relieved from duty is my current 3 wood as got a stronger lofted one to try out.

Also got an odyssey rossi putter and an old Ben Sayers one that I still love and can't ever get rid of as it's my go to in times of bad putting

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Currently a XR16 pro driver, Titty 816 Hybrid and a RAA Putter.

Replaced by a G400 driver (although i aint hit the thing yet), a T-mb 3 iron and a scotty Futura x5.

After being a very good boy for about 18 month i recently swapped my entire bag (including bag ha), so these are that last remaining of the old set.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Callaway V Series driver, I still like the look and feel of it but got the Cobra I use now for a steal in AG brand new and after trying it there is no chance of it coming out for a while.

Soon to be relieved from duty is my current 3 wood as got a stronger lofted one to try out.

Also got an odyssey rossi putter and an old Ben Sayers one that I still love and can't ever get rid of as it's my go to in times of bad putting

I had a go with the XR 3w at the range and thought it was a beast, real easy to hit too. It was a toss up between that and the Mizuno jpx ez when I bought a new one a couple month back (Mizuno winning out on availability of brand new stock and slightly cheaper clearance price)
Whats the replacement toy?

Wolf

Visit site
I had a go with the XR 3w at the range and thought it was a beast, real easy to hit too. It was a toss up between that and the Mizuno jpx ez when I bought a new one a couple month back (Mizuno winning out on availability of brand new stock and slightly cheaper clearance price)
Whats the replacement toy?
I have to admit it is the best 3 wood I've ever owned and can be relied upon whenever I need it.

Been able to get a Wilson FG Tour F5 that can dial down to 13 degrees for free, so I'm going to put it in play for a bit to see how the stronger loft works as something to use off the tee so that I can use it on tighter holes and in summer when the ball runs well so it's more like a Mini Driver.

I do have the luxury of having a spare slot in my bag as only carrying 13 clubs at moment so if the "mini driver" experiment works I can still leave the XR in the bag as well.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
See I am finding the opposite. I am nipping the ball better off wet and muddy lies with less bounce and it's giving better results in the damp sand. I guess it depends on strike and technique and what works best for the individual

I find the same in the damp sand and use less bounce. However on muddy lies I find bounce is my friend when pitching - I am a digger though and take big divots causing fats with the Vokeys. I used to be able to nip them away but seem incapable at the minute 😐