What's it wrong with my golf swing?

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I did play a lot of cricket as a youngster :) finally an excuse :)

if only I could swing like the big easy! I worked last night on trying to shorten my back swing and get the feeling of the left solder pulling up at the start of my down swing. I played 18 holes with a calming influence that plays off 6 and the result was a round of 82 (40 points) that's my best round for months.

Hiedi I have been studying that guys swing loads is video tips are brill :)

I have a lesson tonight after work I will see what changes this evening and maybe upload a new swing ;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
1) Don't lift your chin up, keep your eyes looking DOWN at the ball, feel your left shoulder (and left pectorial) turn BELOW your chin. at the moment your shoulders turn flat and forces your head up in the backswing (early extension) from there you have to get back down again!! and this is causing you to steepen the club considerably on the way down and bob around all over the place just to get it back to the ball.

2) imagine to your right hand side there is a rose bush, it's just over waist high.. on the backswing you want to swing the club up and over it (as your left shouder turns below your chin) and on the downswing you want to crop all the flowers off the top of it!

3) You've also got a bit of an overswing that might need working on, although that never stopped John Daly! :thup:

Last edited:

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The 1st video looked more like you think turn as opposed to coil, and the clubface seems quite shut at the top, so I wonder about forearm rotation. I have a book by cochran and stobbs which I think has some nice stick pictures illustrating the basic movements involved in the golf swing, I'd like to post them but can't atm as I have lent the book to somebody.

I'd be tempted to do some work on posture too as I'm not sure the position you are in at address helps you. I quite like the ideas seen in Ballards connection book asking what position you would be in if somebody was dropping a large heavy object from above or the feeling from jumping up and landing, to feel the kind of readiness you want.

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site
it feels so odd with a short back swing I have been keeping it short but keep rushing the down swing!! I no am hitting better shots but seem to be doing a dance after hitting each one.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
it feels so odd with a short back swing I have been keeping it short but keep rushing the down swing!! I no am hitting better shots but seem to be doing a dance after hitting each one.

I'm having problems with an overswing.

It's much tougher to deal with than, say, swaying, where there are specific drills to help the muscle memory.

I'm just trying slow motion swings, stopping at the top and making sure the club is in the right place, then practising full swings without the ball.

Both of which are fine.

But as soon as the ball is there, so is the overswing.

I think you just have to make sure you are working on the right things, and then accept it's not going to be a quick fix. Not very positive, I know, but I can't find any easy drills that are helping at all with this one (If you do find something that works, pm me asap, please.....)

But, what the heck, if the game was easy, it'd be boring, wouldn't it.

:mad:

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had my lesson last night, after the pro stopped laughing at what I had done to the beautiful swing he tough me ;) we set to work re-designing my swing.

I have now got a shorter back swing and the club is much higher and doesn't cross the line. For me my bad movement was a move with the left side with my body trying to attack the ball. We worked on a drill to use my right hand only on the club to get the feeling of my right side doing the work, I then gripped lightly with the left hand and kept that feeling of the right side controlling the motion. I feel much more coiled and compacted at the top of my back swing.

It was very hit and miss (literally) but it was feeling like much more of a swing. The pro has told me to leave my driver, 3 wood, 4 and 5 iron at home for a couple weeks and stick to the short clubs using no more than 5 wood from the tee.

I have listened they are out of the bag :) I'm on a mission to play the best I can play.