What's it wrong with my golf swing?

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys, I just can't seem to hit anything consistent. I pull the ball then, slice it and then hook. The worst is the pull-hook. Any comments gratefully received.

[video=youtube_share;i20iVhoHhfQ]http://youtu.be/i20iVhoHhfQ[/video]

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The swing path is the first problem I'm afraid. Out to in
Then at impact, the club face is very inconsistent. Sometimes pointing left of left, sometimes just left and sometimes right.
You may need to change the backswing too to help you improve the club face at impact.
What's your grip like?

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I found if I take the club back more on the inside i cast it out over the top :(

bobmac my grip is a neutral grip, what would you suggest to fix my swing path?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I found if I take the club back more on the inside i cast it out over the top :(

bobmac my grip is a neutral grip, what would you suggest to fix my swing path?

Place a head cover behind and in front of the ball as in the video below and try not to hit them.
That will improve your path.

[video=youtube;KsrovFJ3o9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=37&feature=plcp[/video]

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Your extreamly flat at the top of your back swing, so much so, it looks like your chest is pointing to the sky. This makes it very difficult to drop the club inside and incourages an out to in/over the top swing.

Disclaimer.. I'm not an expert, so you might want to take my observation with a pinch of salt. ;)

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Your extreamly flat at the top of your back swing, so much so, it looks like your chest is pointing to the sky. This makes it very difficult to drop the club inside and incourages an out to in/over the top swing.

So am I rotating my upper torso too much do you think?

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
So am I rotating my upper torso too much do you think?

I think you might be over cooking it a little.

You have a nice posture at address. If you can imagine a rod going through the top of your head, through your body and out your arse, that's what you should be trying to rotate around. Maybe try taking your backswing until your left arm is horizontal to the ground and hit a few balls like that, see how it feels.

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
looks like you have a massive over swing and by the time your arms catch up your body on the down swing you are already swinging out to in, try a shorter back swing

S

Snelly

It looks pretty agricultural! I would have a couple of lessons if I was you.

Either that or take up ice hockey or lumberjacking.

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As with some others, I'm no expert so take my comments with a pinch of salt. It looks to me like you're overswinging and it's causing you to fall in towards the ball. If you freeze as you're making contact, you look cramped, only just able to get your arms past your body.

That shows in the angle of your club shaft with the ground. It's at about 54 degrees when you set-up (at which point presumably the heel of the club head is parallel to the ground). As you're coming through to make contact, it's at around 63 degrees. If you get hold of your club now, hold it so the head is flush on the ground then tilt it away from you until the part of the head nearest to you is about half an inch off the ground, that's the angle your clubhead comes through the ball at.

Like I say, I'm no expert, but I would work on shortening your swing and trying to bring your club down through the same angle as you setup.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
ooo flat - then coming in on a steeper plane - watch it in slow mo and you'll see it

best of luck
x

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks Guys, this is such a frustrating game no matter what I do I keep screwing it up. I have had loads of lessons and with different pros now :(.

I have taken another video ill upload in a min.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's looking better, but I'd still shorten the back swing a little more for now. The problem I see is the transition at the top of your swing. If you look around the 4 second mark you will see your left shoulder dip quite a lot when it should be doing the opposite and moving up and left while unwinding. A good way to get a feel of this (do it in slow motion) is to get to the top of your backswing and stop (you can do this with out a club). Hold that position and then start to unwind slowly from the hips and still holding at the top watch what happens to your shoulder, it should be moving to the left, back and up.

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know this is probably an unfair comparison, and looking at your handicap you're a better golfer than I am, but if you compare your position at the bottom of the swing to Ernie Els (told you it was unfair), you can see that Twire is right. You need to get that left shoulder round and up.

els.png

Out of interest, did you used to/still do play cricket? It almost looks like you suffer from the 'cover drive' swing that I did/probably still do.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The second video is better as you are taking the club back better but you get the club badly across the line at the top, it is pointing way right of target. This is creating many problems in your downswing.

Start by looking at this video, I think it may hep with getting the club in a better position at the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgqIcJMYieE

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im no expert but you have to be hitting a fade with that swing. you seem to take it to the top then loop back round on an out to in swing. ive seen people use the opposite to this where they take it way outside to start then drop it back inside. try taking the club way outside so that it forces you to drop it back inside to hit the ball. i dont recomend you to do this all the time but just to get the feeling of dropping it inside.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It would be good to see a view with the video directly opposite, (head on), you as you can only tell so much from behind.

There's a definite over swing and you do lose it slightly at the top which gives you a lot of work to do to get everything back on plane for a clean strike of the ball on the down swing.

Try Bob's suggestion with the head covers and you can also try placing a ball behind the club head at address to make sure you have a smooth takeaway, (you can do this in the front room using a half swing).

Next time you go to the range start with 1/2 swings until you are happy that you are hitting everything out of the middle and go to 10-0-clock, 11-0-clock until you have a good 3/4 swing.

I generally only use a 3/4 swing for my irons and I don't suffer any distance issues and retain accuracy, however people like Bob are far more qualified to give advice