What would you of done ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Got to the course today and already knew the green keepers were doing work on the front nine greens today and back nine tomorrow. Already knew it was temps. Driving up the pit lane to the course and the only thing missing off the greens/ beaches were the donkeys and an ice cream van. I thought sod that, back nine it is.
Spoke to the other three PP and they thought the same. Rob Macey our club pro and Midlands pro of the year 😉, heard me and said " There's a fourball coming up the ninth, can you let them through", " yup no probs Rob mah man". I said.
We had an amble to the tenth, and there's a three ball stood over there balls on the fairway approaching the green. In front of us on the tenth tee is three guys with buggies and a five year old grandson who is loving his day with gangag filling his face.
two of them teed off and the fourball walks round the corner, all with trolleys. First guy looks at me and I said " Rob in the club shop told us you were coming up the ninth and to let you through, are you ok to play through". He said " yeah but are those three gonna let us through". The way in which he said it got my back up straight away, but I kept my gob shut. He walked to the buggies and as I followed him my other three PP looked livid. The three had teed off by then, climbed into buggies, and we're just driving off and the guy said" we have played the front nine and have right of way". One of the guys in the buggy said by "the time we have played our next shot, You will have waited one minute, your not even on the tee". Guy says " we are playing through".
They played there four tee shots, one went wayward, the three guys shot off to there balls' were there played them and were gone. The four ambled up the tenth then played there shots.
We were moaning like wash house women, about what we had seen.
Lo and behold we got to the tenth green looks through the hedge and the three guys in the buggy were sat waiting at the 11th tee and the fourball was walking the 11th. The guys in the buggy had caught up the three ball were sat at the 11th tee and the fourball said " we are playing through and that's that".
We caught up with the buggies where our course has holes running alongside and I had a Chat to them. They were seething. They said they knew that technically they should of let them through, but they also knew that the fourball would hold them up and they did. They fell a hole and a half behind after six holes
Ironically the three all were not members but the fourball was, and us four felt embarrassed by the fellow members of our course.
Now I have made my mind up already who I thought was not thinking of other players. But am I missing summat here. Predominantly it was only one guy who was vocal.

But, would you of let them through? Would you of asked to play through. What would you of done.

Thoughts please, oh ah, leave Brexit, Daily Mail, Farage, Trump, EU, migrants, football, Sturgeon aka Jimmy Krankie out of it please.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm amazed they had the cheek to ask to be honest. So what if they were already on the course? A 3 ball is going to be faster than a 4 ball end of, let them go and not have them chasing behind you the whole way round.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Well, the fourball did have the right of way, didn't they? At least that's the policy on most courses I know. You can tee up on the tenth, but only if you are absolutely certain you don't hold anyone up. That means having a look down the ninth hole and make sure that no one is coming up.

The correct thing would have been grant the fourball their right of way on the tenth and then hope that they would later let the threeball through if they were actually faster (which the four very well might have done, had they not already been so miffed at them for jumping in front of them on the tenth).

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd have enjoyed my golf and got on with it. Not quite sure what you were upset about in that post, them not letting you through or the evil kid not paying a green fee... pesky kids these days, enjoying themselves!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Well, the fourball did have the right of way, didn't they? At least that's the policy on most courses I know. You can tee up on the tenth, but only if you are absolutely certain you don't hold anyone up. That means having a look down the ninth hole and make sure that no one is coming up.

The correct thing would have been grant the fourball their right of way on the tenth and then hope that they would later let the threeball through if they were actually faster (which the four very well might have done, had they not already been so miffed at them for jumping in front of them on the tenth).
Agree. This is what we do at my club. You can not jump in front of a group on the 10th, if group are playing the 9th.

Poor to push in without asking in my opinion.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
To be honest, you pretty much explained the problem in the last sentence. Any fourball with Farage, Trump and Sturgeon in it will always cause problems.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I struggled to follow the story with who was who... But it sounds like the fourball had and took their right of way, which was fair enough, but as soon as it became clear they were holding up the groups behind them, they definitely should have let them back through. That would have been the common sense thing to do anyway. I don't know why they would want to hold up two (or three?) groups of players just because they had 'right of way'.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Bottom line is the 4 ball on the 9th have priority so it's up to them if they want to carry on or allow the 3 ball to tee off in front of them. And there is no guarantee that the 3 ball would be any quicker.

If I was in the 4 ball I would have carried on then called the 3 ball through if we were holding them up at any point.

I think I have understood the original post but maybe not :confused: