What would you do ???

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
What would I do? What the golfers did, if I'm getting the correct impression that they just stormed on the course and began threatening them / attacking them, in an armed robbery type escapade. If this is the case there should only be one guilty party as the golfers can be seen to have acted in self defence against the mindless yobs who were purely out to cause trouble... But I doubt the law will see it like this.

What would you have done Leftie ;) ?

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
The law is an ass!

A private golf club and trespassers arrive "en masse" and cause mayhem. What were the golfers supposed to do? Let the scrotes run off with their clubs?

The police were probably as sick as the golfers when they HAD to arrest them. As usual, the law comes down on side of the wrongdoer.

Is it any wonder this country is spiralling downwards in respect and lawfulness when youngsters are allowed to run amock without fear of punishment.
I foresee vigilanteism (sp) becoming more and more commonplace before too long as decent citizens get increasingly ticked off with loutish chavish behaviour.

Angry Basher! :mad:

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
What would you have done Leftie ;) ?

I would like to think that I would have protected myself with whatever came to hand - probably a sand iron aimed at the shin/knee/groin area rather than the head. More chance of making contact and inflicting real pain rather than risking killing with a shot to the head. But who knows how we would really react in such a situation.

As I understand it, from information in the public domain, it all started with kids making trouble on the 4th green area on the West course where they often get throgh the fencing. Confrontation occurred and one of the kids may have come off worse with a "bit of a slapping" (in self defense).

An hour or two later a whole possee of brothers, fathers, fishwives, etc (allegedly), arrived in cars to the access road running through the East course allegedly looking for revenge. They were politely asked to leave the course and then it all kicked off. I don't know what they were armed with but (allegedly) there was at least one cosh brandished.

Naturally the golfers defended themselves. The 15th tee was declared a crime scene.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like to say I would have belted them but I don’t know. I have Golf insurance and wouldn’t mind some new gear + if I did belt one I would lose my job. Having said that, were they trying to steal clubs or just cause some trouble?

What a crap situation for the club:-

a) Having to have a provisional green on the 15th
b) Bad publicity in the press at a critical time for many clubs

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
"The group of youths swelled in numbers when more arrived in cars after apparently being called to the scene by their friends".

Told you mobile phones should be banned on the course. :D :D

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Mr Walden said: “I cannot say who was at fault and who was not at fault yesterday.

Not a tough one that, a bunch of chavs armed with bats trespass on private land to rob golfers... Then the golfers get arrested defending themselves, it makes me ashamed.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I would have belted the living crap out of them, no doubt about it, 110% and they would have deserved it too.

word!

I'd have belted the living crap out of them also, an awful lot of them would have an imprint of an MP-001 driver on their head before I stopped/was arrested.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf takes a back seat when you are banged up for GBH. Just shows how the law is so weighted to the feral and useless of this country.

I think we would all like to give those so-and-so's (no swearing!) a good hiding but what would the consequences be? They end up in A&E whipping the police/friends/'parents' into a frenzy about how they were ruthlessly attacked - while the golfers are arrested on assault charges.....it makes my blood boil.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If I work hard and save my money and buy some nice shiny sticks, nobody has the right to just take them from me, especially a bunch of no good lazy kids.
I would use minimum force to protect my property i.e. start at the putter and work my way through the bag till they got the message, but not aimed at the head though.
Who says swing speed isnt important ;)
There's boiling blood everywhere

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What would I have done?

probably got a beating while trying to decide between a driver for clubhead speed and a wedge for weight.......

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
They (the golfers) will get off with this, they were purely defending themselves. As for the horrible yobs they got what they deserved and I hope they get locked up and bum raped, but they will only get asbo's our justice system is a crock.

Does anyone watch the american cops programs they get proper sentences over there.

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good luck to the golfers, personally I would have used my ''Rescue Club'' is there any way that we could be kept up to date with what happens and show our collective support to the golfers and the golf club.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Good luck to the golfers, personally I would have used my ''Rescue Club'' is there any way that we could be kept up to date with what happens and show our collective support to the golfers and the golf club.

Yes I agree is there no way we can push Golf Monthly into covering this story it is golf related, and god forbid may become more frequent - They can even start a free the Bromley Fourball compaign