what would you do?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
thinking about an incident from a foursomes tie we had recently. on one of the greens out oppo a addressed the ball with the putter and made contact with the ball, which moved slightly maybe a cm at most.
both Me and my PP saw it but didn't say anything, as he missed the putt and we won the match anyway.

But had he made the putt, it may have changed the game.

I imagine it would be counted as a stoke under the rules? so would have actually been a 5 instead of the 4 and a win on that hole for us and the game over earlier.

What would you have done, kept quite as we did or point it out?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You didn't say anything before he went on to make a stroke so that's the end of that.
Has you said something the ball should simply have been replaced; but if you mutually agreed that it should have been played from its new position that would also be that.
In answer to your question - I would have done nothing; non issue.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If he didn't intend to hit it it doesn't count as a stroke under the rules anyway? Question mark as I don't know if I'm right.

Either way, I would never in million years call a stroke on someone for that. Whatever the scenario. I would feel like an awfully pedantic tosser if I did.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
If he didn't intend to hit it it doesn't count as a stroke under the rules anyway? Question mark as I don't know if I'm right.

Either way, I would never in million years call a stroke on someone for that. Whatever the scenario. I would feel like an awfully pedantic tosser if I did.
To be fair ide expect them to call it themselves, but in this case there is nothing to call as as far as I can see it's either a accident or a double hit, neither of which incur a penalty

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair ide expect them to call it themselves, but in this case there is nothing to call as as far as I can see it's either a accident or a double hit, neither of which incur a penalty

I suspect the primary reason they didn't call anything was simply that they were unaware that they had caused the ball to move!
I've yet to observe anyone go through any real thought process (such as did it really move? is it a penalty? Do I have to replace it or just play?) without it being extremely obvious both at the time and from their demeanour straight after the stroke.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I suspect the primary reason they didn't call anything was simply that they were unaware that they had caused the ball to move!
I've yet to observe anyone go through any real thought process (such as did it really move? is it a penalty? Do I have to replace it or just play?) without it being extremely obvious both at the time and from their demeanour straight after the stroke.

i perhaps thought it would be counted as a stoke, rather than a penalty? i think he knew he moved as the ball did move a fair bit, it was fairly obvious. the other oppo was waiting by the next tee as i think he expected his partner to hole.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
i perhaps thought it would be counted as a stoke, rather than a penalty? i think he knew he moved as the ball did move a fair bit, it was fairly obvious. the other oppo was waiting by the next tee as i think he expected his partner to hole.
You said when he addressed the ball it moved , how can that be a stroke? In the OP it moved barely a cm and now it moved a fair bit....make your mind up.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
when does it become a stroke?
When it meets the definition!

Basically

The forward movement of the club made to strike the ball.

Whether it does, or doesn't, strike the ball is irrelevant. There are examples of what doesn't constitute a stroke in the definition for clarity; worth reading for completeness.

Btw there isn't any concept of addressing the ball either - that's also irrelevant.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't say anything as I don't 100% know the rule. Also I wouldn't see it as them having gained an advantage, so would be fine with just leaving things as they are.

I'd kinda hope they would call it on themselves.

I'd guess the rule is an accidental stroke, you replace the ball with no penalty. If he plays it, then you lose that option and it costs you the accidental stroke (as if you'd made a normal stroke) with no further penalty.

Perhaps if the guy had been arsey about rules earlier in the round, that might change what I did - however I doubt it.