WHAT WILL MAKE US BETTER GOLFERS???

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OK this is a very wide open set off questions.
What does it take to improve your game?... , is it more practice practice... What areas of or game do you need to improve the most. Does your swing need much improving?, perhaps you need lessons, maybe change of equipment?
Would we benefit from more structured range sessions or getting out on the course more often?
Do you spend much time on shortgame?
Do you pay enough attention to course management?
Do you have a game plan when you step out on the course? or do you just tee up and see what happens?
Also is fitness letting your game down.
I remember Tiger saying he felt the same walking off the 18th green as he did walking on the first tee, does this apply to you?
Look forward to your detailed answers.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re: WHAT WILL MAKE US BETTER GOLFERS

Aside from practice, course management is the next area to look at. I stil play too many very risky shots and do not pay enough attention to the shots that will take hazards out of play.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Better course management will improve my game a great deal with more focus on taking the game one shot at a time. When playng courses I know I'm very guilty of predicting the scorecard taking my concentration away from the moment.

I walk on the 1st tee looking forward to the game ahead and come off the 18th green looking forward to the next game. So, in some respects I feel the same. Temperament is quite often very different though.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Apart from more shiny stuff, I need to apply equal focus to every shot. Chipping out sideways is so hard for me, as the big switch in my head goes to off, and I mess it up. If there is a 5% chance of pulling off the miracle shot, I am better off taking this option. This is clearly not good.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site

New toys without a doubt, but having the patience to learn to use them, the determination to practice and the wisdom to know when advice is wrong.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I agree murphthemog the chip out sideways is so hard to do, I'm always looking to go forward not sideway or backwards. I'm the type of golfer that when I see a shot I play it I hate all this doubt "will I or won't I?" I think we're all guilty of it round our own courses and maybe if we did do something different our scores would improve.

No golf today the bloody course is closed (rain)

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Has anyone ever taken out a half set of clubs around their own course just to see what irons we dont really need. I used to do this alot in the winter months. One week I would off left the odd numbers in the locker and the next I'd leve the even numbers behind. On a number of occasions I would even leave the woods behind making me hit only irons off the teeing area. The things we used to do while we were young......
One thing for sure we can never leave behind is our putters, well I suppose we could and putt with a 3 iron

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

1) structured practice
2) Structured lessons
3) Course management
4) Learning EXACTLY how far I hit each club
5) Measuring distances on each hole (my clubs strokesaver reckongs one bunker is 128 to centre of green - I hit 3/4 sand wedge into the wind!!!)
6) Having the dedication to practice my short game

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Lesson's and lots of practice from 150 yards and in, this is where I personally leave a lot of shots on the course. lost count of the number of times I have driven well only to miss the green with what should have been an easy second.

Also practice short chips from around the green, I play with guys that are off 5 + 7 every week and they are much more consistant at getting it up and down.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com

totally Homer, I plan these days of practice off the course but end up smashing 100 balls at the range and watching the 18th from the 19th.

On Saturday/Sunday I am going to:-

1 - Play a imaginary game on the range of my home course
2 - Pop to the pitching green and learn to play with my wedges.
3 - Practice my putting for some time
4 - end up watching the 18th from the 19th ;)

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

We would all be better golfers if we had the privileges of the professionals. A dedicated caddy, hundreds of brand new practice balls, time to stalk a putt with a second opinion from the caddy, detailed course planners, the very best equipment tailor made for us, a professional coach, etc. etc.

How many shots off the round would that be worth?

ACP

Club Champion
Visit site
Got to be the short game for me - chipping & pitching! Need some better weather to practice. I'm sure this area is costing me at least 4 shot's per round!

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hope they don't have to put an item back on for any bogies, they would end up looking like the Michelin Man the way I play sometimes.