What Wedge? Help please

A

Alex1975

So I have a birthday coming up and I have been playing with the idea of getting a wedge. At the moment my smallest wedge is my sand iron, 56* I guess. My buddy used a 60* for sand and tight round the green. Question one is should I follow his example or is that a little extreme for my game? Up close round the green I use a sand wedge if I don’t want much run, a Pitch or 9 Iron if I do. From a little further back I may use an 8 Iron chip or a sand Iron pitch or chip shot or even a full sand shot from 75-95. So if not a 60* then what? Clearly I know this is going to be an opinion but I welcome all.

Question two is what brand. I am keen on the Cleveland CG15s or CG15 DSG, they come top in the Golf Digest : Hot List. What are the other “must try” wedges in your opinion?

Last question is what bounce. As I understand it as a mid/high handicap that plays in a course where the ground does not get too hard I should have a low bounce, is that right?

Thanks all

Al

caslad81

Medal Winner
Visit site
Bounce stops the leading edge of the club digging in to the ground by letting it bounce off the turf, so if you are using a club with high bounce on hard ground or a bare lie you increase the liklihood of thinning the ball as the club head will bounce into the ball if you dont strike it pure.

crux

Club Champion
gonewhackit.blogspot.com
Just retired my 60 degree wedge from the bag.

The only thing I find a 60 degree useful for are high flop shots over bunkers and to be honest even if i'm faced with one of those, it's normaly better to play an alternative shot. Everything that I can do with a 60 degree wedge I can also do with a 54 degree wedge, usualy better with the added bonus of not worrying about duffing it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
More bounce on soft ground, less bounce on hard ground.

It also depends a bit on the player, whether you tend to dig down and take a divot, or whether you pinch the ball off the surface.

This will help figure out what you need:

http://www.scratchgolf.com/custom-fitting/online-fitting-tool/

PS. I don't use a 60 degree wedge, but if you get one, it is best for shorter bunker shots, and don't try the Phil Mick flops until you have practised. A lot.

A

Alex1975

nice one,

your little web program there tell me You are a Sweeper/Slider.

as for the flop shot, i have tried with my buddys club and I usualy clear the green and maybe a hedge :eek:

A

Alex1975

Cool cool, ok people what brands and models turn you on please?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So many top players use Vokey wedge, to not consider them would be daft. :)

I changed from Cleveland to Vokeys a while back. 54 and 58 degree and also carry the sandwedge and p/w from my Burner irons. The Vokeys work for me, and my short game gets me round, as we have fairly small greens. The 58 is great and if I need to pop one up I just lay it flat - brilliant clubs.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
So I have a birthday coming up and I have been playing with the idea of getting a wedge. At the moment my smallest wedge is my sand iron, 56* I guess. My buddy used a 60* for sand and tight round the green. Question one is should I follow his example or is that a little extreme for my game? Up close round the green I use a sand wedge if I don’t want much run, a Pitch or 9 Iron if I do. From a little further back I may use an 8 Iron chip or a sand Iron pitch or chip shot or even a full sand shot from 75-95. So if not a 60* then what? Clearly I know this is going to be an opinion but I welcome all.

Question two is what brand. I am keen on the Cleveland CG15s or CG15 DSG, they come top in the Golf Digest : Hot List. What are the other “must try” wedges in your opinion?

Last question is what bounce. As I understand it as a mid/high handicap that plays in a course where the ground does not get too hard I should have a low bounce, is that right?

Thanks all

Al
i would drop the sw find out loft of your pw then build up your gap wedges. say your pw is 45 or 47 get a 52 or 51 and a 56 or 58 ps get your two new wedges of the same make etc IMO :cool:

A

Alex1975

Thanks all

Al
i would drop the sw find out loft of your pw then build up your gap wedges. say your pw is 45 or 47 get a 52 or 51 and a 56 or 58 ps get your two new wedges of the same make etc IMO :cool:

yep, this ran through my mind in bed last night. that would be at least 2 wedges i would need though.

looking at the titalist wedges now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think any gap between a standard (45-47 degree) PW and a sand iron (56-58) is way too much and that you need a club to bridge the gap. Personally I go 46 PW, 52 and then a 58 so there is a nice even split. Also, the gap wedge gives me a lot more options around the green

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
What are the other “must try” wedges in your opinion?

It's really important that you "must try".... :)

I have a few different wedges and the feel of them is/are, in cases, like chalk and cheese.

I find Vokey's light, really, really light. Fine for finesse shots and tiny dinks around the green, otherwise....um....
I have a TM RAC satin which is a great club. I find this one heavy and use it for heavy lies especially and for most of my shots under 100 yards.
My MD is about as in between as I could find, but it's a 60 and rarely sees the light of day.
The Clevelands (which I've tried) and Taylor Made seem to have the same feel to them. Mizunos are good too.

Choices, choices. Personally, I prefer a wedge that feels heavy in the head, so I'd go for Cleveland, Taylor Made or Mizuno.

I expect someone will have experienced the exact opposite.
:)

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally use the CG15 clevelands in black pearl and love them. Range balls don't though as they slice their covers to bits! If you tend to sweep/slide then definitely try the DSGs. I switched from spin milled Vokeys and wouldn't go back if you paid me!

It's totally personal preference among all the decent wedges though so you absolutely must try before you buy. If your pro won't let you or doesn't have demo stock then go visit 1 who has!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Ping's are good - a bit of forgivness if you need it.
I use the CG15's and they're the business. They are quite rounded so may look a little strange at first but it's worth sticking with them.
The Mizuno MPT-10's are nice as well
Vokey's are good - must be as a lot use them - but I've never got on with them.
The Callaway X-Tour's are pretty good too.