what to buy?

Vercogen

Visit site
Hi Guys

What do you propose I buy? At the moment i have a Ping 4 fairway wood. Is it a good idea to buy a 3 and 5 fairway wood as well. I strike the 4 wood pretty well and get about 210m with it. Thus i don't know if the 5 and 3 wood is also necessary?

thanks in advance

kerber0s1983

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You need to consider what distance the other clubs around it that you currently have go

i.e - how far is your driver going? What club do you have next down the bag and how far does that go? and also consider the loft of the clubs you already have in the bag

I've fallen foul of this before by adding a 5 wood to the 3 wood i had, but the loft on it was exactly the same as my 3 hybrid, so there was no real point having the hybrid and 5 wood together

Vercogen

Visit site
You need to consider what distance the other clubs around it that you currently have go

i.e - how far is your driver going? What club do you have next down the bag and how far does that go? and also consider the loft of the clubs you already have in the bag

I've fallen foul of this before by adding a 5 wood to the 3 wood i had, but the loft on it was exactly the same as my 3 hybrid, so there was no real point having the hybrid and 5 wood together

I hit my driver approximately 230-250m my next club is the 4 wood(not sure about the loft) going about 190 - 210m, then 4 iron(160-175m) that i only strike about 50% well, thus looking to replace the 4 iron. I have a hybrid, but could never hit it properly.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't be buying a club either side of the 4 wood as the distance is likely to be close to it. Id probably do a gapping session on all my clubs and see where the biggest gaps are through the bag and then decide

Vercogen

Visit site
I certainly wouldn't be buying a club either side of the 4 wood as the distance is likely to be close to it. Id probably do a gapping session on all my clubs and see where the biggest gaps are through the bag and then decide

What about a hybrid for my four iron, i know i did not strike the Ping G20 hybrid that good, will the new G series not make a difference. The difference between my Ping G20 Driver and G30 was huge.

kerber0s1983

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As above, i would go for a gapping session first and get an idea of your differences between what you have, but it sounds like a 7 wood or 4 hybrid as a replacement for the 4 Iron is not a bad shout, i ended up doing that, i've replaced a 4Iron with a 4 Hybrid

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
What about a hybrid for my four iron, i know i did not strike the Ping G20 hybrid that good, will the new G series not make a difference. The difference between my Ping G20 Driver and G30 was huge.

I played with Mike Harris (GM editor) yesterday and he had the new Ping 4 Iron/utility club and he hit various types of shot very well with it, that included a stinger! He hit of a tee, fairway and said it was a great club out of the rough

Vercogen

Visit site

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends how big the gap is between the longest iron you carry and 4 wood.

Definitely don't go 3,4 & 5 wood as they would be far too similar in distance and potential uses