What tier are you in?

sunshine

Visit site
The Government messed up the tiers last time (what else did you expect), so now they are being much more conservative. Erring on the side of caution is the right thing to do, because so many people break the restrictions.

Lockdown rules have been followed and enforced like the 70mph speed limit on the motorway. Nobody gets stopped at 75 but if you bomb around at 120 you will get done.

D

Deleted member 21258

Live in Tier 2 but play in Tier 3 or wales normally at his time of year, so dum dum.

Good that outdoor sport is back tho.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Like many here, despite living in an area largely untouched by Covid, we’ve gone from 1 to 3 because of the issues in the more urban areas of the county.

To be fair, the recent spike in the local infection rate perhaps warrants us being in 2, but certainly no higher. And that rate is once again in steady decline.

The clear concern now is that, given the county wide approach adopted, our local infection rate could be practically zero and we will never get out of 3 because of what is going on 15 miles up the road.

Whilst part of me understands the need for simplicity, punishing rural hospitality in particular because of the actions of those with no rural connections seems unnecessarily harsh.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I am struggling to rationalise it. And truth is, i don't think this government really knows either. I think they need to listen to a more varied selection of medical experts. The facts are that lockdown doesn't work as effectively as they imagined.
Meanwhile so many businesses are facing ruin, but that doesn't seem to be a problem to the government.

Pre lockdown 2 the figure for South Somerset (from memory) was something like 25/100000 it did go up to around 200 and is now back to 120. Still well below national levels but not as good as pre Lockdown 2.

One of the major factors in all of this is there is now a lot more testing so it is expected figures will rise.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Possibly, but not sure how many people will want to take a beer away to sup it in the car or the car park

Worth remembering in tier 2 you can still go in for a pint but unless the people you played with are in your bubble you al must all sit at separate tables. At least that is my understanding.

Or sit outside the clubhouse together, brrrr

D

Deleted member 18588

Worth remembering in tier 2 you can still go in for a pint but unless the people you played with are in your bubble you al must all sit at separate tables. At least that is my understanding.

Or sit outside the clubhouse together, brrrr

I thought alcohol can only be served in Tier 2 if it is accompanied by a "substantial" meal.

Doodle

Visit site
The biggest problem we have is the PCR test throwing up too many false positive tests making the figures seem worse than they really are.
The PCR test is being used in a way that it was never designed for.
Portugal has banned it's use for Covid because of it's unreliability.
A much more reliable way of monitoring the situation would be to use the lateral flow test (which gives highly accurate results in minutes) & to monitor hospital admissions.
That way, large sections of the UK could fully reopen & allow the economy to recover.
As things stand, if they continue with the present approach it will be at May / June before any of these tiers are lifted.

As a sense of perspective as to where we currently are with the economy.
10 years of austerity saved approx 34 billion.
Up until now, we have spent 400 billion on Covid.
We / our kids & our grandchildren will be paying for this.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought alcohol can only be served in Tier 2 if it is accompanied by a "substantial" meal.

Yes got that one wrong, think I missed the first line.

• Hospitality venues can only serve alcohol with substantial meals

• hospitality businesses selling food or drink for consumption on their premises are required to:
    • provide table service only, in premises which sell alcohol

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes got that one wrong, think I missed the first line.

• Hospitality venues can only serve alcohol with substantial meals

• hospitality businesses selling food or drink for consumption on their premises are required to:
    • provide table service only, in premises which sell alcohol
But in Tier 2 you can only go out for a meal with members of your own household - multiple households no more...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Club have emailed saying the bar and kitchen will remain shut until the next Government announcement due on the 16th. Not overly convinced there will be anything positive in that other than where we are now but I live in hope

Doodle

Visit site
I think the way things are looking not many, if any golf clubhouse's will be open until April at the earliest.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the way things are looking not many, if any golf clubhouse's will be open until April at the earliest.
It's all about the vaccine right now. If that gets rolled out then clubhouses will be back in business. I'm hoping back end of February, early March. Your estimate may be more realistic, I'm trying to be optimistic ?

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We received a mail saying they are planning on opening the clubhouse and will be launching a “substantial meal” menu, currently we are Tier 2, previously Tier 1.

Doodle

Visit site
We received a mail saying they are planning on opening the clubhouse and will be launching a “substantial meal” menu, currently we are Tier 2, previously Tier 1.

I would be very surprised this time of year if taking that approach would be cost effective.
They would have to unfurlough the staff & pay them as normal.
Realistically how many people will have a substantial meal after golf?

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would be very surprised this time of year if taking that approach would be cost effective.
They would have to unfurlough the staff & pay them as normal.
Realistically how many people will have a substantial meal after golf?
I guess time will tell. If the members want it it will work if they don’t it’s easily shut down. Better to give it a try and let the membership decide in IMO. I can see it being popular in December less so Jan & Feb.