What Now for Scottish Golf?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm sure this is similar to what I was referring to earlier, it just seems to me a woman making a big noise and using the sexism card, bit like certain groups using the racist card at a whim.

You’re determined to start arguments everywhere you go aren’t you.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I’m wondering if “rank and file” golfers were consulted or even know how their clubs voted?

Transparency would be a very good thing for Scottish Golf. However I think they're fearful of the backlash and truth that will come there way. An online survey to every club member would go a long way in shaping this "new" organisation.

Maybe they should go down that route.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, can you name four of your current County Golf team who may be used for inspiration.

I did say truly elite, not just very good. In recent times, the NE is a small pool, Chris Paisley, Stocksfield GC, and Graham Storm, Hartlepool GC have both won big tournaments. Garrick Porteous went to the same school as my son, played at Bamburgh GC, and won The Amateur Championship, qualified for Majors on the back of that. He is struggling to make it at pro level but during his peak amateur days he certainly inspired kids in Northumberland. All three of those create or have created a buzz in local golf clubs and the local press. There is a young lad at the moment, a year older than my son, called Matthew Lamb who has represented England at all of the junior levels and is inspiring juniors in Northumberland at the current time.

Blokes in their 40's playing county golf are not going to inspire anyone, no matter how much better they are than I am, but those 4 names certainly have done in my part of the world and I am sure that at least two possibly all 4 of them benefitted from a county programme.

I completely agree that a balance is required between elite and regular golf. Sending your county players to the best golf course in the area, paying for regular coaching, maybe even a warm weather trip, can gripe regular golfers. I asked if SGU had the balance right as a genuine question. Maybe they don't. My point was that elite golfers can inspire others and it can be money well spent. Getting that balance right is critical though, no question.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Transparency would be a very good thing for Scottish Golf. However I think they're fearful of the backlash and truth that will come there way. An online survey to every club member would go a long way in shaping this "new" organisation.

Maybe they should go down that route.

I was getting at a lack of transparency from the clubs over this.

But, yes, maybe a survey would be good - I think it’d reveal vastly differing opinions. I think Andrew McKinlay has a difficult task on his hands.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Just heard on Sky that there is no Scottish golfers in the top 100 in the world.
What a sad state of affairs.
Where are we going wrong?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have courses that are over priced that the Japs and Yanks will happily pay top dollar for.

i don't think its anything to do with that, after all Ireland has lots of over priced courses as well. we should be looking at Ireland and what they are doing . Similar population, sim players to population ratio, but far less drop off for membership and loads of guys going on from the Am game

DCB

Visit site
As far as young talent goes, we seem to set them up from an early age with elite coaching and all we do is set them up to go to College in the US.

Or

We make such a mess of their minds with the elite coaching that they think they are better than they really are.

There certainly aren't enough kids playing the game, that's for sure.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just heard on Sky that there is no Scottish golfers in the top 100 in the world.
What a sad state of affairs.
Where are we going wrong?

It wasn't very many years ago that there were no English players in the top 100.
Seems the system has overcome that, what does Scotland do differently?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
As far as young talent goes, we seem to set them up from an early age with elite coaching and all we do is set them up to go to College in the US.

Or

We make such a mess of their minds with the elite coaching that they think they are better than they really are.

There certainly aren't enough kids playing the game, that's for sure.

Or we alienate so many youngsters by the failure of the previous SGU initiatives who are lost to golf for ever. Add in the costs and time factors and golf just isn't attractive to many families.

It's very clear that the previous SGU elite coaching squads system hasn't worked.

Is there any wonder that this "new named organisation" is being treated with suspicion and members are quite rightly so (in my opinion) questioning why they are being asked to pay more in way of subs and where this money is going to be getting spent.

Average Joe club golfer gets nothing.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've 2 boys and both had fantastic golf swings when they were younger now they have zero interest in golf, the oldest played a few times when at Uni just for something to pass the time time ,the youngest zero even tho his best mate is at US college for golf.

The reason a stuffy club that weren't really interested in having juniors now the times have changed as golf clubs struggle to keep members as i no mines has lost over 50 playing members this year

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Was reading Alastair Forsyth's views on Scottish Golf. Not the most complimentary to be polite.

Huge work needed by the organisation to galvanise and unite the local golf unions into playing ball and come back on board. That is the first battle they need to "win" in order to restore some faith in the organisation and allow Scottish Golf to move forward.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I see that they're trying once again to sneak in an increase on the membership dues. Wanting to increase it to £14.50. Only a 50p reduction on what was rejected already.

They have hit out with some very very vague plans on how it will improve and help Scottish Golf but doesn't go any further than that.

Personally I think it needs to be rejected until they can prove that they have learned from previous incompetence and overspending.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I see that they're trying once again to sneak in an increase on the membership dues. Wanting to increase it to £14.50. Only a 50p reduction on what was rejected already.

They have hit out with some very very vague plans on how it will improve and help Scottish Golf but doesn't go any further than that.

Personally I think it needs to be rejected until they can prove that they have learned from previous incompetence and overspending.

Have they done anything for multiple memberships or are we expected to pay this at every club you are a member at ?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

A lot of people have lost faith in Scottish Golf as they seem to be an ineffectual body at the moment with little being done for the clubs in Scotland which are still suffering from declining membership. If they could do something to justify the increase people would accept it but we really need to know what their plans are.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Believe it is only a 1 off payment.

Don’t have a problem if you only pay it once (your Home Club) and that all other courses you me be a member st then you don’t need to pay it again as this is what currently happens