What Now for Scottish Golf?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
how would seeing a load of youngsters jetting a around the globe paid for by the man on the street, inspire the man on the street to take up golf?

You don't think think success inspires people to take up a sport? Success of a local doesn't inspire local golfers to play more, whatever their level?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
After last year's debacle where the chief exec quit and the members rejected the proposal to double the affiliation fee to fund a number of initiatives, the latest AGM last weekend ended in acrimony with the more modest £3.75 increase rejected and the chair calling out some of the sexism and misogyny she's been subjected to in the role.

This rejection in conjunction with reduced funding from Sport Scotland means the incoming chief exec will have to spend his first few weeks and months on further cost cutting rather than on initiatives to develop and grow the game.

Seems like they also need to do a lot to win "hearts and minds" of rank and file golfers who don't appreciate the role Scottish Golf plays in the game, and maybe knocking a few dinosaur heads together as well!

Having done a bit more "research" by asking a friend in the "know" I understand that is was your home golf union that has caused the latest storm.

Personally I think it is a bitter childish rant that makes the already beleaguered organisation look even more ridiculous. The club golfer has a right to question why they fund elite golfers and get nothing back from their "investment" or "contribution".

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having done a bit more "research" by asking a friend in the "know" I understand that is was your home golf union that has caused the latest storm.

Personally I think it is a bitter childish rant that makes the already beleaguered organisation look even more ridiculous. The club golfer has a right to question why they fund elite golfers and get nothing back from their "investment" or "contribution".

What do you mean by my "home golf union"?

I agree about questioning how resources are used but I don't agree that the club golfer gets nothing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
nope.. !

Some might be inspired by pro's Ams no

I'm meaning at top level. Rory inspiring kids in N.Ireland, Chris Paisley inspiring people in my county following his recent win. You don't think that happens?

To get to that level most go through the amateur ranks and get helped by their counties or national bodies.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm meaning at top level. Rory inspiring kids in N.Ireland, Chris Paisley inspiring people in my county following his recent win. You don't think that happens?

To get to that level most go through the amateur ranks and get helped by their counties or national bodies.

Seve inspired me, he's not SGU funded!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

once he was pro no doubt he inspired a fair few and still does today.. can't think of too many young Scottish golfers tearing it up that have turned pro in the last few years.

Ireland is something we should be looking at sim sized population same amount of golfers, but far more success as far as pros go.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
26 % on elite golfers so what happens to the other 74%, what does the average hacker like myself get out of it in my eyes nowt. Ireland have a GUI card which from my knowledge of booking times they get a decent discount on courses and not just the top ones either.

A good thing ive seen from Ireland is national club comps for handicap golfers between certain ranges we have nowt like that here

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Oh right, that's nothing to do with me! Interestingly, I heard it was more down your way.... :D Probably both!

I got that info from someone in Renfrewshire. I can't see this as being anything other than a childish rant. I'm not sure where the sexism card comes from. If she has evidence to support this rant it should be put on the table and the offenders named and shamed and taken to task, there is no place for that within the game at any level.

I am not a fan (as you know!) but this circus of an organisation really don't help themselves.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
26 % on elite golfers so what happens to the other 74%, what does the average hacker like myself get out of it in my eyes nowt. Ireland have a GUI card which from my knowledge of booking times they get a decent discount on courses and not just the top ones either.

A good thing ive seen from Ireland is national club comps for handicap golfers between certain ranges we have nowt like that here

Believe it or not I'm not here just to defend SG, clearly big changes are required, but I think this attitude is problematic. You get lots from them from handicapping to discounts, support for your club, efforts to promote and develop the game and, yes, championships. I agree they could probably do better on the latter front but have to find the right niche to pitch it at. Surely nobody would argue against them staging national scratch championships but what would you like to see for handicap golf that wouldn't just be a direct competitor for club opens etc?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
. I'm not sure where the sexism card comes from. If she has evidence to support this rant it should be put on the table and the offenders named and shamed and taken to task, there is no place for that within the game at any level.

I'm sure this is similar to what I was referring to earlier, it just seems to me a woman making a big noise and using the sexism card, bit like certain groups using the racist card at a whim.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Believe it or not I'm not here just to defend SG, clearly big changes are required, but I think this attitude is problematic. You get lots from them from handicapping to discounts, support for your club, efforts to promote and develop the game and, yes, championships. I agree they could probably do better on the latter front but have to find the right niche to pitch it at. Surely nobody would argue against them staging national scratch championships but what would you like to see for handicap golf that wouldn't just be a direct competitor for club opens etc?

karen i no you aren't defending them and if the CEO says theres been comments made she should out them ive no time for sexist nonsense. A few years ago they ran a Texas Scramble comp with winners from your home club going to a selected venue then the winning teams got a place in the Pro - Am at The Challenge tour event at Spey Valley.

The GUI run 2 comps the Jimmy Bruen Shield which is inter club comps minimum 5 handicap and max per pair is 15 and 5 pairs per team, they also run one with a higher handicap limit from what i no its very competitive .
Maybe something like that would be good to get clubs involved

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
karen i no you aren't defending them and if the CEO says theres been comments made she should out them ive no time for sexist nonsense. A few years ago they ran a Texas Scramble comp with winners from your home club going to a selected venue then the winning teams got a place in the Pro - Am at The Challenge tour event at Spey Valley.

The GUI run 2 comps the Jimmy Bruen Shield which is inter club comps minimum 5 handicap and max per pair is 15 and 5 pairs per team, they also run one with a higher handicap limit from what i no its very competitive .
Maybe something like that would be good to get clubs involved

They took over running the old SLGA Medals Finals. The best performer in a club's medals the previous year (both in bronze and silver divisions) gets put forward into one of four regional finals and so many from each then qualify for the grand final at the end of the year. I don't think there's similar for men but does that sound like something that would be good?

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
They took over running the old SLGA Medals Finals. The best performer in a club's medals the previous year (both in bronze and silver divisions) gets put forward into one of four regional finals and so many from each then qualify for the grand final at the end of the year. I don't think there's similar for men but does that sound like something that would be good?

I'm not to sure ,i know theres one at Leven for all the club Champs but not sure if run by the SGU . Ireland seems to promote sport in general a lot more than Scotland does maybe thats why there reaping the benefits of it and not just golf.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think truly elite golfers inspire people to take up the game so that is justifiable. Where might be questioned is very good, but not truly elite, golfers getting money for coaching, advice and everything else that goes with golf now, the backroom staff can be significant. If too much money goes into the latter group then they maybe more open to criticism.

Do you think they have the balance right? I don't know about golf in Scotland in that sense.

Out of interest, can you name four of your current County Golf team who may be used for inspiration.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a good level of competition golf here, not all just for scratch guys, Steve is right, we have bruen, pierce Purcell for higher boys, we have team comps for over 18s too, as well things like ulster cup, 10 men, Barton’s shield, senior cup, junior cup, b&d and holt shield. Not all gui but I know that the difference between here and North east England is huge as there it was all scratch teams, if Scotland is like that then it maybe needs a refresh.