What has been the "best" car you owned?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
A mate of mine had one of these in the early 2,000's, don't know if this was your version. He was living in London and dropped me off after a visit outside a tube station. I went to get out normally, failed. I thought for 2 seconds and then realised I had to crawl out, hands and knees job. People going into the station actually stopped to see what I was doing. If I was more of a showman I would have finished with a ta-da but I'm afraid it was far less elegant. Well played for managing with this car ?

Spot on! We once parked on an up hill and I couldn't get out so we had to move the car on to the flat

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Loads of company cars back in the day when you weren't battered for tax.
Best (and biggest-4sets clubs,3 leccie trolleys+assorted LynxGolf xlarge sports holdalls) was Peugot 406 2ltr diesel estate/all singing all dancing leccie this leccie that,great sound system.
Went like the proverbial bat out of hell-got 3pts on way to Fort William one Sat.a.m.-went past Mr.Plod at 90(road was empty for miles-honest!)wrote me up as 60mph as couldn't be ersed taking me to Oban to do extra paperwork involved if 90---was all over the car trying 2way sunroof/leccie mirrors etc.etc.-said he had just ordered one,but not this spec!
Nice guy but got a bit antsy when I asked for his address to send him a bottle of Malt....Happy days.
Jimbo

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best is probably the one I have now, Sunset Orange G20 BMW M340i. Its just a great car and looks amazing with black trim and roof. My old Merc C43 coop was decent too.

But, my favourite, my all time favourite has to be a 2000 Vauxhall Astra G that was originally a 1.8 SRi but the piston rings went on it.
So me and my mate dropped a rebored 3.2 V6 from a Vectra in it. Gearbox from a diesel meant the closer ratios gave it nuts acceleration. Lightened flywheel let it free rev, polished butterfly, blanked EGR and a straight cat back custom 4" flow exhaust.

Was a flying machine. Got it fitted with a Reiger Infinity bodykit and it looked the part too.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've had better cars since but the car that I really loved back in the day was a Ford Capri Laser 2.8 Si. At the time it was a world ahead of anything I had previously.

Last edited:

FELL75

Visit site
09 BMW 520i touring. Great engine, the seats were so comfortable they were like armchairs. Loads of space too. Miss it.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For reliability, probably the 2003 model Astra that i had for 11 years. Never let me down once. It was one year old when i bought it.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
VW Golf GTi mk2, bought it three years old when prices were low because of the high insurance. Five years later it was nicked, but insurance paid out only £1,200 less than I paid for it. Everything else I have owned has been fairly pedestrian by comparison.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
BMW Z3 M Roadster.

Took loads of stick off of my mates for it being a 'hairdresser' car. It's a Z3 with an M3 engine, 320bhp, RWD, no traction, no roof, race exhausts. It was EPIC, I loved it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
BMW Z3 M Roadster.

Took loads of stick off of my mates for it being a 'hairdresser' car. It's a Z3 with an M3 engine, 320bhp, RWD, no traction, no roof, race exhausts. It was EPIC, I loved it.

Mrs Mogs still has her Z3M Coupe. 240,000 miles on it now. Had it for 19 years, and she won't get rid.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would have been my old Capri i bought not long after passing my test. Only a 1.6 but i tweaked it a bit, horrid brown interior ( no vinyl roof though) and more filler than metal, but i loved that car, taught me loads about rear wheel drive, mechanical and bodywork repair ??

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a 2007 E63AMG for 3 years. Epic car - loved the engine. No real costs apart from an average circa 14mpg and the other usuals and only 1.5k depreciation in 3 years - cost less than a new ford Fiesta in ownership terms - hard to beat that

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mk1cortina 1500GT, it was flame orange and was as rot as a pear but Christ it could shift back in the day .
Best car was probably a V70 Volvo estate D5.
Surprisingly quick for a tank but all the creature comforts and tons of space .mpg was brilliant as well average of 44

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done, spot on.

I'll see your Sylva and raise you this...

AEfcT2f.jpg