What happens to your old drivers, wedges etc?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
After getting my new locker in the clubhouse, I was unloading all of my stuff from the boot of the car today and found a mizuno 3 wood, an old wedge or two and a pile of golfballs I had kept aside for practicing with.
I dont tend to change clubs too often and this got me wondering what others who change more often do with their old kit, keep, part ex, give away or sell on ebay.
Generally when it comes to me upgrading/renewing my old clubs are usually "well worn" and not worth a toss and end up with a cupboard of defunct clubs.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Sometimes I give them to the youngsters and sometimes they go on good ol' ebay!

I'm not one for hoarding, unless (1 day I hope) I hit a hole in one, I have said that the club, ball and scorecard from that day will be put in a presentation case should it ever happen for me.

Wouldn't p/x as I have heard that custom fitted stuff, particularly irons, have a trade-in value of 50% less than standard loft/lie.

golfcitydweller

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i tend to keep them in a bag in the shed - u never know when u might have to pull them out of retirement..- hand them in to my local cancer charity shop ...i`ve also bought a `ray cook` putter that my son uses £2 !!!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
hopefully i wont have to get rid of any clubs any time soon but i will be keepin hold off all me old gear for me nephew, have just given me old man a taylor made bag i didnt like.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Over time ive kept all the old equipment that I have changed, which now comprises of a driver, 5 wood, irons 3-pw, and putter and a stand bag. It comes in handy quite a lot when people you know who play golf visit my area for a weekend to catch up with people and don't have clubs with them. They can use my spare set.

DCB

Visit site
Got a few old clubs on a rack slung from the roof in the garage. I tend not to dispose of things 'til I'm sure the replacement works OK. Spent some time yesterday dong a bit of a spring clean of the garage, amazing what you find hidden away. Just about to offload an old driver to a mate I think.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm the same as eaglehunter. I basically have a complete second set (not that fancy) that I just couldn't be bothered to sell when I upgraded.

Its now a very handy thing to have when family members pop over to see me or a mate is coming up on a plane. Easier to borrow my standard clubs that them having to haul theirs long distances.

I absolutely love the idea about a hole in one presentation case. Should I ever be fortunate to achieve that feat I think I may copy that idea :)

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
I suspect there will be more than one copying the presentation case idea.

It would be nice if some organisation (non profit) took old clubs and gave them to kids.

mass

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Below is an email from a bulletin board at my work, seeing Geronimo's post jogged my memory. The equipment has to be sent to Aberdeen if any one is interested PM me and i will forward the guy's details.

Folks, for many years, CNR Cote d'Ivoire has been trying to promote golf in Abidjan and for the last 6 years, has sponsored the Abidjan junior golf event by providing lodging and food, transportation etc. Given the poor condition in which the kids are playing where most have no proper shoes or clothes and have to share clubs (e.g. a set of three or four clubs in a bag is usually shared by three kids), some of the golfers in the Aberdeen office have decided to try and provide some additional golf equipment for the 2008 tournament and for the kids in general within CDI.

If you have any old clubs (is your driver now banned?), golfing equipment, bags, old balls etc that you no longer use and are sitting in a corner of the garage, then we would be delighted to collect them to ship down to Abidjan. Maybe have a word with your pro - they usually have clubs rotting away in the back office somewhere?

Please take them / send them into St Magnus House for the attention of Morris Wiseman, Tony Walker or myself.

The equipment will then be distributed to kids in 5 different cities in CDI. Any help would be much appreciated.

If we can have your donations by Feb 29th, that would be great.

hopeful

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Being a bit of a skinflint I hardly ever buy new gear and I take very good care of the clubs I have.
What also interests me slightly is what happens to all the brand new, unsold clubs that the makers must be left with when they bring out their 'new improved' stuff every year? Why can't you buy them half price? Stupid question, I suppose!

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
First set went off to the charity shop- Spalding 'Heat' clubs. Ive had my fun with them and if someone else can too and a charity can make a bit along the way then so much the better.

Someone always wants a set of golf clubs I would like to think they're out there somewhere being used.