What h/c goes on scorecard

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bit of a debate at my club so simple question do you put your course handicap on your card or your playing handicap?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit of a debate at my club so simple question do you put your course handicap on your card or your playing handicap?

there is only a need to put your course handicap on the card, but it’s suggested that the scorecards have space for index, course handicap and playing handicap

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My club is very clear that CH is what we use for competitive play and what we score off - and so what we’d show on a card. This just as before as we didn’t record our exact handicap on the card but recorded our ’handicap’. My WHS PH is for results purposes only.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The fact that they use the word "integer" rather than "whole number/not fraction" speaks volumes :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Folks have started putting all 3 on cards (eg 11.9/13/12) to avoid any issues.
I have started to pretty much forget about my handicap when playing a singles round. I simply do my best on a hole and record my gross for it. I don’t bother working out and recording stableford points if scoring that format. I let the system work it out. So at the end of a round when asked by playing companions what I scored I don’t know.

This actually works for me as not knowing my running total points I don’t feel any pressure through a round to ‘keep it going for a good final total’. I find it helps me play a hole at a time and to not do any projecting to what I might score in the end. But not for everyone I grant you.

Why anyone would feel a need to record all three HI, CH and PH I rather struggle with. Just write down CH and no issues surely.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
'Let the computer do the work' is fine, I say it myself, but falls down when you play certain formats. I'm playing in a 4BBB open tomorrow. There will be no computers to help afterwards, just good old fashioned pencil and card. The players will have to work out everything themselves once they get out on the course, unless they get in prize winning positions at which point the club will double check themselves.

I don't blame anyone for putting everything down. Better too much info than not enough. You can get DQ for one of those but not the other.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I have started to pretty much forget about my handicap when playing a singles round. I simply do my best on a hole and record my gross for it.

Why anyone would feel a need to record all three HI, CH and PH I rather struggle with. Just write down CH and no issues surely.

You are quite right... I was sat at my laptop and running a spreadsheet of what I need to score to get cut... then I though "nuts to that!"

Folk were writing down all 3 "handicaps" in solely to avoid disqualification for not filling card in properly :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You are quite right... I was sat at my laptop and running a spreadsheet of what I need to score to get cut... then I though "nuts to that!"

Folk were writing down all 3 "handicaps" in solely to avoid disqualification for not filling card in properly :)
I find it not too hard to work out how to maintain my HI if I am about to lose a counting round.

Our course SR is 125. The SR ‘factor’ for my course is therefore 125/113 and that is about 1.1. So to replace a counting score Like4Like I multiple the diff for the score being lost by 1.1 - ie I add a tenth.

I am about to lose a 7.2 so I add .72 and that is 7.92. So to maintain or improve my HI I basically must score 8 over or better.

For 4BBB I also fail to see the complexity.

We should all know our CH and for my PH in 4BBB I take off a tenth. Calculating a tenth of a round number is something we should all be able to do. It’s dead easy. If a handicap is say 23 the player takes of 2.3 and as the decimal is less than 0.5 you ignore it - and so take off 2 to give a PH of 21. Then for the shots you take the lowest PH off the other three PHs - simple.

We essentially did this before and we didn’t think it was difficult - and neither is it now.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something. Previously is was "buffer/beat handicap" or go up 0.1 - ok, you didn't know what CSS would be, but it was always within 1 of a guess :)
I was talking there specifically of the 4BBB shots calc we used to do. Yes what we do for individual strokeplay rounds is different, but the calc I might chose to make (if I can be bothered) is not difficult. It’s different but it’s not difficult.

I know my next WHS round will not count - at least in the short term. I know that if I can play to 8 once in the next two times out I will protect my HI from going up when I lose the 7.2.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club is very clear that CH is what we use for competitive play and what we score off - and so what we’d show on a card. This just as before as we didn’t record our exact handicap on the card but recorded our ’handicap’. My WHS PH is for results purposes only.

Then your club is very slightly wrong. Yes the only requirement is for the CH to be on the card but your comp score for both medal and stableford is your playing HC (95%) in stroke play.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
'Let the computer do the work' is fine, I say it myself, but falls down when you play certain formats. I'm playing in a 4BBB open tomorrow. There will be no computers to help afterwards, just good old fashioned pencil and card. The players will have to work out everything themselves once they get out on the course, unless they get in prize winning positions at which point the club will double check themselves.

I don't blame anyone for putting everything down. Better too much info than not enough. You can get DQ for one of those but not the other.

Eagle do a great sign that shows you all the different allowances and provides tables with the different playing HC. No maths required, just the ability to read.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

All you need for score to go down is a score that can replace one of your best 8 in last 20. By how much, depend, just like before. Fire up app in morning and the little man will tell you ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Then your club is very slightly wrong. Yes the only requirement is for the CH to be on the card but your comp score for both medal and stableford is your playing HC (95%) in stroke play.
I think it's just the words...from our website...

Simply take your new index, find that on the chart and read across to see your course handicap. This should be the figure you use in competition play and always score off this course handicap. For Strokeplay competitions, you will receive 95% of this course handicap but this is for results purposes only. Handicap adjustments (net differentials) will be based on course handicap.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's just the words...from our website...

Simply take your new index, find that on the chart and read across to see your course handicap. This should be the figure you use in competition play and always score off this course handicap. For Strokeplay competitions, you will receive 95% of this course handicap but this is for results purposes only. Handicap adjustments (net differentials) will be based on course handicap.
I see where they are coming from but it seems a tad confusing but what isn't these days, even EG can't even use the correct terminology on their app..

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
All you need for score to go down is a score that can replace one of your best 8 in last 20. By how much, depend, just like before. Fire up app in morning and the little man will tell you ;)
Absolutely.

My next counting round diff that I'll lose is a 6.7 (which on my track converts to 7.4. So I know that if I do not score 7 over or better in one of my next two rounds then my HI will go up. How much it goes up depends upon whether one of my next two rounds is better than my current 'next best' - which is a 10.3. So the most my HI can go up is - to all intents and purposes, (10.3-6.7)/8=0.45. So my current HI of 9.0 would go up to 9.45 - worst case (recognising PCC caveat I cannot predict :))

But I can do all of this in advance - I don't have to worry about it on the 1st tee.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Eagle do a great sign that shows you all the different allowances and provides tables with the different playing HC. No maths required, just the ability to read.

If I've interpreted your posts across various threads on this site correctly I believe that you are part of the "admin" at your club aren't you?

You have noticeboards at your club don't you?

Surely you recognise the fallacy in your closing 4 words above? :D