Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Up to 30 yards

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Better accuracy is more important

Votes: 24 70.6%

• Total voters
D

Deleted Member 1156

If you are about to get custom fitted and fork out best part of £500 for the latest and greatest driver, what gains do you think are realistic?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm not sure it's as simple as looking for a gain in yards or accuracy.
A lot depends on what you're replacing.
Changing from the M1 to the M3 for example probably won't gain you much - a bit of extra ball speed on miss hits but not massive amounts.
Trading up from, say, the R9, or older, to the M3 and, almost, the sky's the limit gainwise..
You could make substantial gains in every department.

D

Deleted Member 1156

A lot depends on what you're replacing.
Changing from the M1 to the M3 for example probably won't gain you much - a bit of extra ball speed on miss hits but not massive amounts.
Trading up from, say, the R9, or older, to the M3 and, almost, the sky's the limit gainwise..
You could make substantial gains in every department.
I would say the sort of people that are contemplating a fitting for a current top end driver are likely to have something relatively modern in the bag already, unlikely to be an r9 or older so I think my question is pretty straightforward.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a Nike Covert driver. I hit it reasonably straight and an okay distance for my pathetic swing speed. I have pinched my son's TM M2 driver whilst he is at university and I have added 10-20yds to my drives. No fitting, just picked it up and hit it. Getting the right match can clearly make a difference. (Does this mean a fitted one could go even further :unsure:. Mmmm birthday coming up(y))

D

Deleted member 1147

When you say “would one”, are you referring to yourself or to me?

Wolf

Visit site
Tighter shot dispersion for me, I'm not the longest so more distance would be an obvious bonus, but wouldn't want that to be at the sacrifice of accuracy rather play from the short grass than be in the rough stuff even if it was further up

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Tighter *** dispersion for me, I'm not the longest so more distance would be an obvious bonus, but wouldn't want that to be at the sacrifice of accuracy rather play from the short grass than be in the rough stuff even if it was further up
Note to self...re-read posts before hitting that button:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I would go with some gain. My own experience R9 to M1 virtually none R9 to M4 about 10 yards. That's about £25 for every yard (bought second hand) yet to decide if it is really worth it.

D

Deleted member 21258

I would always take extra distance, but have never been custom fitted for any clubs. Didn't gain much(10-20 yards iirc) on the course from swapping from tm 360 to fly z+, didn't notice any notable difference between fly z+ to M2 2016.

I answered 10 yards but don't have any idea really:LOL:

TXG on youtube have some great videos doing this kind of comparison and some of the changes are very surprising.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I got fitted, 2 degrees flat, 1/2 inch short. I got more confidence, a better club lie, the visual impression using the club inspired more confidence. Didn't gain any more distance. Shot control and distance accuracy improved. Fitting was free so what would I have lost if no improvement, well nothing.

I'm using a Callaway XR16 Driver, club shop demo version (superb condition) cost me £67. Getting fitted again for a new driver, how much do I think I would gain, nothing, how much would I lose £500 if I bought one.

What the fitting did for me was give me a base line for club length and lie, what shaft i needed and what should suit me best. If you take nothing from that sort of experience well it would be a shame.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you have a relatively recent driver (last 3-5 years) properly fitted for you then the gains are minimal to zero. There is little else of worth to say. If your fitted for muc much older than that or playing more newer but not fitted then the gain could be substantial