What does £30/40/50 get you?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Exactly this. Why you would ever hand over 50 notes for a regular round of golf is beyond me. There are a vast numbers of courses near me that are £20-25, and others than can be got for £30 or under online as you say.

Because you get to play some of the best golf courses in the world

The standard of golf course on the whole is proportional to the level of the green fee - 9/10 the more you pay the better course you will play

It’s like why spend £90k on a car when you can get one for £8k

And if clubs are offering cheap deals that means for me imo - the course isn’t that great or they are struggling for money/ members

It’s rare you get great golf courses cheap unless with a member or in an open

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

The standard of golf course on the whole is proportional to the level of the green fee - 9/10 the more you pay the better course you will play

And if clubs are offering cheap deals that means for me imo - the course isn’t that great or they are struggling for money/ members

I said for a regular round of golf. Not for the world's best courses ffs.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Tbf Phil this thread doesn't really relate to the playing of top courses. Lets be honest, most of them set you back more than £50.
I wouldn't pay that much (£50) for a friendly knock too regularly.

Re the OP,
In kent you can play plenty of courses for less than £25 if you're availability is flexible, that being said if you want weekend AM i'd worry about a courses quality if I was paying sub £30.

D

Deleted Member 1156

But my point is what do you get for your money in your area? Down here you don't get much, go to a remote part of Scotland and you probably get some absolute crackers for £30.

D

Deleted member 15344

Then for some of the best in your county or the town or the country etc etc - the more the better the course , that’s why people pay over £50 for game of golf - because the course will be worth it.

And what is a “regular round of golf” ? There is either social or a comp ?

If you are paying £20-£30 around London or down South as a rock up green fee then the course isn’t going to be great hence why it’s priced like that - the further you go North towards Scotland you prob get far better value

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Then for some of the best in your county or the town or the country etc etc - the more the better the course , that’s why people pay over £50 for game of golf - because the course will be worth it.

If you are paying £20-£30 around London or down South as a rock up green fee then the course isn’t going to be great hence why it’s priced like that - the further you go North towards Scotland you prob get far better value
I meant your standard weekend round, not anything special. I play numerous courses in that price range and they are all absolutely fine.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
If I put my north London postcode into tee times then I get lots of results. Crews hill for 20 quid is nice course with a couple of cracking par 3s. Several others like mill hill, bushey and the like that I've not played but review well enough. You don't need to spend big money to have good days golf with your mates.
Too many course snob about

D

Deleted member 15344

I meant your standard weekend round, not anything special. I play numerous courses in that price range and they are all absolutely fine.

So that is for most playing at their home club I suspect as most of the “better” courses are saved for members.

What would you say is the best course you have played and the most you have paid for a round ( visitor green fee )

If I put my north London postcode into tee times then I get lots of results. Crews hill for 20 quid is nice course with a couple of cracking par 3s. Several others like mill hill, bushey and the like that I've not played but review well enough. You don't need to spend big money to have good days golf with your mates.

It’s not about being a “course snob”

And “tee times” website are always full of cheap deals but the courses on those websites are either “struggling to get visitors” at their regular green fee or just want to get as much money in as they can - plenty of them in my area as well.

And if the Enfield area I would be look to play the likes of Hadley Wood , Old Ford Manor etc

D

Deleted Member 1156

Nothing to do with course snobbery, purely about what you can or can't get in your area for any given amount.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So that is for most playing at their home club I suspect as most of the “better” courses are saved for members.

What would you say is the best course you have played and the most you have paid for a round ( visitor green fee )
There was another topic asking that already, I said it was probably 30 or maybe 35 quid but I can't exactly remember. I honestly couldn't say what was the best course I've played, I've enjoyed many different courses.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

Does your course offer a cheap twilight deal ? I'd guess it does , your view that cheap = poor quality is misguided

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Booking through the usual golf booking websites, not the clubs own advertised prices, £30 will get you on most courses up here if you have a little flexibility, not silly times, decent slots. £40 should cover the rest. There is no need to get to £50 unless you want prime time slots at the best in the area.

Walk up fees are over the top on the whole, unless used by a club to put people off of course. I can't remember the last time I paid a full fee but maybe we on here are the exceptions?

To an extent it must be dependent on the affluence of the area? Is that fair to say?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Does your course offer a cheap twilight deal ? I'd guess it does , your view that cheap = poor quality is misguided

Twilight are always cheaper at most courses - but then you are restricted to when you go off

I don’t think I said “poor quality” - but I my experience beyond member rates the more you pay for a green fee the better standard of course you get in the immediate area 9/10.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

It’s not about being a “course snob”

And “tee times” website are always full of cheap deals but the courses on those websites are either “struggling to get visitors” at their regular green fee or just want to get as much money in as they can - plenty of them in my area as well.

And if the Enfield area I would be look to play the likes of Hadley Wood , Old Ford Manor etc

I played old ford on a twilight for 30 quid recently, nice course. Hadley wood clearly has no desire or need for visitors and good luck to them.

All members courses have restrictions on visitors, amongst other things thats why you join a club, to get preferential tee times.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

A regular game of golf is social. Why complicate every thread?

Just chillax.

We all understand that in general terms the more you pay the greater the quality but that's clearly not what this thread is about.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just checked my club website, £95 for 18 holes midweek or after 2pm on a Sunday or £57 midweek in winter. 2 other clubs nearby that are more expensive.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Loch erne for 37quid tomorrow probably the best deal around here.

If I phoned portsallon I could probably get on there for 20euro.

Ballyliffin 50euro as a member of a Derry city resident.