What does £30/40/50 get you?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

On the back of the green fee thread, just wondered what you get for that kind of money. Not having a dig at anyone but down here in the south £30 gets you a very ordinary municipal course. If you want to play anywhere decent you are looking at £50 upwards really.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have to disagree, I rarely pay more than £20 and have played some very nice courses in the south. Case in point last week, Pine Ridge in Camberley, £18pp.

dronfield

Visit site
Up here in the North (Sheffield), you can play on some very nice courses with off peak deals either directly with the club or via online tee time booking sites.

Last year i played private clubs Abbeydale, Tankersley, Renishaw and Wortley, all for under £30.

Rich

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Played some fantastic "fairly ordinary municipals" over the years. Some real bargains on line these days, I'll play anywhere really and am not much of a course snob.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I guess it depends if you are asking based on the walk up green fee or if you can find a deal for £50.

For a walk up green fee around me, you can play most courses for 30/40. But the same courses you can get online deals for around 20. Some even less.

I do believe that walk up green fees are far too high. One course near me is £30 to walk up and play. Yet I know you can get it for £15 every day. Is it worth £30? I don’t think so. Is it worth £15? Yeah 100%

I really do not understand who is paying the full green fee price as I have never done and never will

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I guess it depends if you are asking based on the walk up green fee or if you can find a deal for £50.

For a walk up green fee around me, you can play most courses for 30/40. But the same courses you can get online deals for around 20. Some even less.

I do believe that walk up green fees are far too high. One course near me is £30 to walk up and play. Yet I know you can get it for £15 every day. Is it worth £30? I don’t think so. Is it worth £15? Yeah 100%

I really do not understand who is paying the full green fee price as I have never done and never will
Same here, you can find any number of the local private members clubs for 20 quid ish online. Despite their advertised visitor fee being 3 or 4 times that.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
People will always pay what they can afford or justify.

£50 for some people is absolutely buttons, others it's a tank of fuel or money that can be spent better elsewhere. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I walked up to a course and paid a green fee. My golf these days is usually invites/opens or my home track.

Last green fee I paid was Trump Aberdeen. £95 notes and worth every penny. However it was pre arranged and I wanted to play that again and it gave me an opportunity to catch up with a couple of guys I hadn't seen in a while.

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I mainly play my own course and am not really price sensitive when I play other courses as it's usually for a bit of a treat with mates but when my son came back from Uni last year and fancied playing a few different courses and I was paying two green fees I booked mainly on line and could get onto some pretty reasonable courses at around £30 or sometimes a lot less.
Dynamic pricing can turn up some very reasonable deals. Personally I don't think £40 is a huge amount of money to pay for 3 hours of hopefully pleasure, I'd far rather pay that for great golf than food in a lot of places, which isn't to say that eating out can't be a pleasure too.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I get the online deals thing but generally most people want to play on a Saturday or Sunday and those deals are aimed at filling the quiet slots that are not at popular times.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I get the online deals thing but generally most people want to play on a Saturday or Sunday and those deals are aimed at filling the quiet slots that are not at popular times.

I don't get your point? Most clubs with the exception of munis have restrictions on when visitors can play and will look to sell off peak times regardless of where you book. Whether thats direct with the club or tee times etc.
What is £50 getting you round your way that 30 doesnt?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I just had a look at our club website and Golf Now.

Our club advertise green fees on a Sunday as being £65.

If you book through the online portal it is £36.50.

If you book through GolfNow it is £28.50.

Those are both for the same tee times.

There is a golf now deal for £20 which is teeing off at 13.56 on a sunday.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A lot of green fees are set by members clubs who don’t want to be overrun with golfers paying fees, so the rate is set at a level that attracts a few but not the majority.

Siolag

Visit site
£50 at my club. They have a society’s there during the week and I assume they get a better deal. We have a lot of competitions over summer, which are members only. I can sign guests on for £18.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't get your point? Most clubs with the exception of munis have restrictions on when visitors can play and will look to sell off peak times regardless of where you book. Whether thats direct with the club or tee times etc.
What is £50 getting you round your way that 30 doesnt?
I've looked online and can only see 1 course under £30 at the weekend in my area. It is on common land, very poorly maintained and very quiet which no doubt reflects its popularity. Moving up to £50 gets you on to some reasonable courses.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just had a look at our club website and Golf Now.

Our club advertise green fees on a Sunday as being £65.

If you book through the online portal it is £36.50.

If you book through GolfNow it is £28.50.

Those are both for the same tee times.

There is a golf now deal for £20 which is teeing off at 13.56 on a sunday.
Exactly this. Why you would ever hand over 50 notes for a regular round of golf is beyond me. There are a vast numbers of courses near me that are £20-25, and others than can be got for £30 or under online as you say.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I've looked online and can only see 1 course under £30 at the weekend in my area. It is on common land, very poorly maintained and very quiet which no doubt reflects its popularity. Moving up to £50 gets you on to some reasonable courses.
I don't know where you live or what radius you are using so it doesn't mean much to me

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
A couple of years ago I did a servey for my county looking at numbers on courses on a Sunday afternoon. It's amazing how many are virtually empty, this includes 2 of the top clubs in North Devon. I've just gone on the web cams at RND and hardly anyone out on a cracking day.