What do you want from a golf clubs website?

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's been a lot of talk about golf club websites not being very accessible or usable for golfers looking to visit a new course or even a club your a member of, so what sort of content would you like to see on yours or another clubs site?

IMO it would be great to see a hole by hole course map, like strokesavers on courses your visiting. Also a dedicated members area, with competition results updated regularly and start sheets showing when your teeing off and maybe regular updates on the shop and from the captain.

I find it easier to get to the website than the club sometimes, especially during the week, so shouldn't sites be better? Ours is pretty pap to be fair, updates are very hard to come by.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The only part of ours I use is the online calendar, to check whether the course is likely to be busy

As for clubs Im likely to visit, clearly stated what facilities they have (ie is there a range to warm up on etc) its nice to see some decent photos, course planner would be nice, clear pricing for visitors (and whether they have any deals on), details of any open comps (and entry forms), details on the pro-shop (and whether they offer custom fit and if so for which brands) pretty much covers it for me

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Course conditions
any tee restrictions
local weather forecast
menu
does the captain like to exercise his right to queue jump

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A map showing where the course is
Kitchen opening times
Photos of the course
Driving range/practice facilities
Details of the pro/shop
course card

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't get me started on this. Ours isn't very good and I've been doing a lot of work trying to get the club to embrace the modern technologies available and desperately trying to show them the lost marketing opportunities a good website, twitter and facebook offer. Apart from that Twitter and FB give members instant up to the minute information (course closed for fog, temp greens, society going out at 10 etc) and it only takes seconds to do.

Sadly they are a bunch of luddites and say that the poor secretaries are too busy to do too much on the website let alone learn and use other mediums. WTF!!!!!!! Some of you kindly provided electronic and paper newsletters to show what can be done and I'll continue to pressure them. It doesn't help when the current captain is a bit of a technophobe. We really do need younger blood in the places that matter.