What do you think of The Belfry?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was surprised when both Derek and Phil left and going back to see £9.50 for a bucket of 80 balls is ridiculous when places like Calderfields and the American Golf range in Wythall both have Toptracer but are not as expensive. I didn't know that was the reason for the putting green and short game area being closed, which is actually quite annoying.
Well, Derek actually got sacked. They sacked them all and they had to reapply for their job. Derek wasn't taken on so left to aston wood. Ironically the people they did take on ended up leaving after a few months too.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played there many years ago after doing a test on hybrids for a rival magazine. We played the Brabazon the next day and I was knackered but thought it was very good and in super condition. I didnt do it justice but par'd the 18th so went home happy

rystaman

Visit site
Well, Derek actually got sacked. They sacked them all and they had to reapply for their job. Derek wasn't taken on so left to aston wood. Ironically the people they did take on ended up leaving after a few months too.

Oh really? That's horrendous, assuming the fire and rehire was on a worse contract as well... I'm just getting back into the game now after a few years away

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Has anyone hit the 10th with their tee shot? Appreciate it’s not as big a deal these days but the sight of Seve or Torrance knocking it on with a Persimmon driver used to be one of the big thrills

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Has anyone hit the 10th with their tee shot? Appreciate it’s not as big a deal these days but the sight of Seve or Torrance knocking it on with a Persimmon driver used to be one of the big thrills

I managed to have my ball lodged in a bush on the opposite side of the water ......... but pin high ?

D

Deleted member 1147

Yep, hit it with my old 3 wood.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The original tee that was used is no longer there. The original possition is marked by the massive Brabazon marble sign. It required a longer tee shot with alot more fade. Truly awesome shot by the Spaniard

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had two stays there, both in late March. The courses were pretty decent for that time of the year but the Brabazon was so slow. Food and drink there are so overpriced though. Better off taking a taxi into Sutton Coldfield for a quiet night or Brum for a more lively time.

birdyhunter

Visit site
The original tee that was used is no longer there. The original possition is marked by the massive Brabazon marble sign. It required a longer tee shot with alot more fade. Truly awesome shot by the Spaniard

Yep, played it recently.. it's well forward and now an easy 3 wood, maybe a strong 5 wood

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Next week we've got the British Masters there so will do something on the course.

I've never played it so can't say but have heard some say it's a bad waste of a potato field to how good it is. It's obviously got all the history and the show holes but what's it actually like to play as an experience? Cheers
I played the PGA National and the derby last year. My thoughts are pretty much the same as others here. The PGA is a tough course and I enjoyed it. The derby is not great. You get treated very well, I’m not sure if I was looking in the wrong place or whatever but there wasn’t much Ryder Cup paraphernalia there. On reflection, based on how disappointed I was in the derby I would pay the extra money and play the brabazon and pga if I was to do another overnight stay.

One thing that sticks with me though, was as we were booking in to the pro shop, there was a group of blokes on another till who had booked through your golf travel. All their documentation said their tee time was say 11.30am, but they were in the belfry system as teeing off at say 10am so they missed their tee time. The attitude from the belfry staff was “sorry you missed it, that information doesn’t match ours. We can squeeze you in at 5pm tonight but you won’t make it around 18.” I’m not sure what I expected, but just seemed poor.

The Dog.

Visit site
The Belfry? A decent farm was ruined when they built it. Overrated, overplayed, overpriced and very poor value for money. If you want to play a good golf course in the neck of the woods then go to Beau Desert or Little Aston.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Totally over-rated and you are ripped off from the minute you walk in the door on green fees, drinks, food and anything else they can get out of you.
Although the stories I've heard about that nightclub are legendary. The over/under on the women in there being prostitutes was about 40%.