What do you make of these impact marks?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gentlemen (..and ladies).

It's been noted on another thread that the impact marks on my irons seem a little high. They're in the middle just a tad high. Here's an example from the range:

image.jpg

The picture above was taken with a 5 iron. The strike was clean, ball first then the mat, lovely high flight, with my stock gentle fade.

I know from when I was fit I have a very late release, I always have. On the swing DNA gizmo, I had a release factor of 1 on the 3 test swings (... And subsequent swings with the swing DNA attached).

Could it be, I'm delofting my irons quite a bit coming into impact causing the higher than usual impact marks on the club face?

Clutching at straws I know, but would appreciate another, more informed perspective.

Any help :D

Thanks in advance :thup:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Gareth,

The optimum position to strike the ball on a clubface can change on different clubs dependant on the design characteristics. The ideal position is in line with the clubs horizontal and vertical centres of gravity. Some GI clubs have a lower vertical centre of gravity to assist the ball flight when struck lower down. Better players clubs see the position higher.

Unless you have the technical data showing the COG positions you can only detect it by the feel at impact and ball flight

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Id be getting out onto real grass fairways and trying the impact tape G, mats could well be giving you different results.

The mats at the range I use B, are true strike gel mats.

If you duff one, it's like duffing one one grass, you get a much, much lower ball flight with a massively reduced carry.

:EDIT: I'd like to add I'm not too fussed about is as the ball is going, pretty much, where I aim. Just curious as to this cause.

Last edited:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gareth..... I won't pretend I know anything about horizontal or vertical CoG..... But what I do know from using my own Wilson's which are forged that I'll feel it if I don't catch one where I should on the face....

Looking at that mark seems about right... The sweet spot on my own is a little closer to the heel than the toe and a few grooves up.... The handy thing about forged clubs is that if you don't hit the sweet spot your hands won't thank you for it....

If I was you I wouldn't worry.... If you were off you'd know.....

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gareth..... I won't pretend I know anything about horizontal or vertical CoG..... But what I do know from using my own Wilson's which are forged that I'll feel it if I don't catch one where I should on the face....

Looking at that mark seems about right... The sweet spot on my own is a little closer to the heel than the toe and a few grooves up.... The handy thing about forged clubs is that if you don't hit the sweet spot your hands won't thank you for it....

If I was you I wouldn't worry.... If you were off you'd know.....

I know what you mean about feeling where the ball strikes the face.

As I say, I'm not worried. The ball is flying well enough, nice trajectory, and where I aim most of the time.

Just strikes me as a little perculiar :mmm:

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just strikes me as a little perculiar :mmm:

Peculiar in comparision to what? Are you using new irons and the marks are higher/wider than on an old set?

I agree with SR's post #2 - the design of each clubhead will give different 'feeling' for strikes at the same point on the face.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gareth.

You will have a forward leaning shaft to hit at that position. I would expect to see a lowish ball flight.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
you mention in the first post that you hit that 5 iron with a "lovely high flight". I think that's were he is getting that from!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
you mention in the first post that you hit that 5 iron with a "lovely high flight". I think that's were he is getting that from!

Sorry Gary. Let me clarify.

In the post above I'm referring to my normal, day to day, flight.

In the OP I'm referring to the shot I hit with the 5 iron and the resulting image of the mark.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't describe my flight as 'low' Brian. If anything it more a mid trajectory but definitely not high.

Well, when I say low I mean 'not too high' :) To hit where you are you must have to deloft the clubface which will produce a lower ball flight than when the club is more vertical at impact.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It looks OK to me. That's where I see marks on the face of my irons when I have been down the range. Remember, when you hit the ball it tries to slide up the face of the club.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Next time im at the range ill use a whiteboard marker and see where my strike marks are.

Maybe ask your pro what he thinks next time you see him!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Next time im at the range ill use a whiteboard marker and see where my strike marks are.

Maybe ask your pro what he thinks next time you see him!

I've spoken to my pro Gary, He has no issue with then being where they are as the ball flight and distance is good.

Like I've said before, I'm not fussed into changing it. Just curious.