What do you define as a mistake?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A shot that doesn't go as planned, excluding a 20' putt that misses. A fairway missed, a green missed, a 3 putt, a ball left in a bunker/rough.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I only think I've made a mistake if I don't commit to a decision.

If I think it's a 7 iron and commit to it but it comes up short or airmails the green - I'm ok with it. I hate quitting on shots so you never get to know if you have the right club.

Same with putts, don't like picking a right lip line and then changing my mind 1/2 way thru the stroke and pushing it a cup.

Those, to me, are mistakes

This, without a doubt.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The biggest mistake for me is getting into trouble and instead of going for the safest route possible out, trying to take on to much and then end up in more trouble. This is one that I always get caught out on and am working to get out of my game slowly.

Also bad shot selection, especially short game-wise. Too many times I've duffed or thinned a chip to end up with a bogie or double.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Some people here seem fairly harsh with themselves. Surely, one must be able to have a bogey on a hole without having made a mistake.

I am playing very low level. For me, when I don't hit the ball properly so it doesn't launch. Basically, if the next shot is more or less from the same spot. If I advanced the ball I am fairly happy with it.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
The biggest mistake for me is getting into trouble and instead of going for the safest route possible out, trying to take on to much and then end up in more trouble. This is one that I always get caught out on and am working to get out of my game slowly.

Also bad shot selection, especially short game-wise. Too many times I've duffed or thinned a chip to end up with a bogie or double.

Personally, I don't think this is a mistake, it may be a bad swing that you make, but trying to play a shot you think you can make but don't, is learning. Trying it half arsed (this is not implying that you did..), is the mistake. I love the opportunity to try "great escapes" on course. People get too hung up about scores, which means they end end up tippy tappying it around. Go on, wack it between those trees and over the pond, think how good you will feel when you have done it :)

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally, I don't think this is a mistake, it may be a bad swing that you make, but trying to play a shot you think you can make but don't, is learning. Trying it half arsed (this is not implying that you did..), is the mistake. I love the opportunity to try "great escapes" on course. People get too hung up about scores, which means they end end up tippy tappying it around. Go on, wack it between those trees and over the pond, think how good you will feel when you have done it :)

For me playing of 19, trying to fit it through a two foot gap and not pulling it off is a mistake. It's a low percentage shot that yeah if pulled off is great but most likely will end me up in more trouble. And doing it during a comp round is just not needed and adds shots to my score that I could do without. Vary rarely will you see pros and low handicappers take on these shots and there's a reason for it, because the risk out ways the reward.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A mistake it having doubt over what you're about to do and doing it anyway.

A mistake is not factoring in something critical that you could have known about, like conditions or landing area, and only realising when it's too late.

A mistake is planning one shot and executing another.

We all make bad swings, misread or mishit putts, even the pros do. A mistake is letting that error negatively affect your judgement on the next shot(s).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Complete misjudgement of pitch shots - did a few on Saturday as we are on temp greens and ground was soft on surface. Hit perfect shots exactly as I meant - and on few occasions overshot temp by 10yds or short by 15-20yds. Maybe I need a distance gizmo.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
(a) when in the heat of the moment tend to get ahead of myself and not think very clearly about what I need to do and focus on

(b) compounding one error with another, ie poor recovery shot with a 3-putt = double bogey, that's a mistake.

(c) losing patience and/or belief

Poor swings, poor choices, decisions and errors are part of the game though, it's what makes the golf so unique.

D

Deleted member 1147

I'd go along with Robobum et al. A mistake is the mental error. When you know what you should or shouldn't do but still make the wrong decision.
Bad swings, contacts, clubbing etc are par for the course (pardon the expression) but making the wrong decision or not sticking with the right decision are very annoying mistakes.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jack Knicklaus said " he only hits six or seven shots a round as he planned" so he makes lots of mistakes.
us mere mortals make lots but I try not to get down on myself.
but the one I hate most is missing greens with wedge from the middle of the fairway.

Thexindi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I define a mistake as a thin or fat shot which to be honest is getting more and more rare gladly
Or leaving a putt very short or too long
And finally when i really hit a shot way left or right, everyone hits shots left and right but I'm talking about when I hit them silly left or right that's a mistake

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing a bad shot that is going to make it really difficult to make par, I can't sum it up any more simple than that. A drive that ends up in the crap, an approach that leaves me short sided, a chip that doesn't get close enough for a tap in, knocking a putt 6 foot past.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Some people here seem fairly harsh with themselves. Surely, one must be able to have a bogey on a hole without having made a mistake.

I am playing very low level. For me, when I don't hit the ball properly so it doesn't launch. Basically, if the next shot is more or less from the same spot. If I advanced the ball I am fairly happy with it.

I expect the mistakes but that doesn't mean I'm happy with them. However, I also expect the odd birdie or up and downer...

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

This then starts to get in the realm of handicap and distance. An 18 handicapper that hits it 230 off the tee and only has a max distance of around 440 with 2 shots may take a bogey without making any mistakes when playing a 470 yard par 4. But a low handicapper that can reach every hole in regulation will never take a bogey without making a mistake.