What constitutes a Major?

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
Why is it that the USPGA is a classed as a "major". I realise this is perhaps the tournament that most players would like to win (prestige/winnings), but why is it so? Why not the European Open or perhaps the Australian Open? What prevents this from happening? AFAIC, there are only three real majors: The Open, The US Open and The Masters - I think there should be more and certainly dotted elsewhere than the US.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agreed. To an extent. Although I hold the USPGA in more regard than The Masters. It's unfortunate that three of the The Majors are held in America, but they have all the money and what they say goes I'm afraid.
I think it would be wrong to change anything now anyway as we need some kind of yardstick to measure the greats against each other and The Majors are the only ones we've got, although some of the older guys are at a disadvantage with having had the best of their careers during a time when there were only 3 majors or when The Open and thePGA overlapped.(Denying Hogan the chance of the modern slam, I may add)
No, leave it as it is. 18 is the target.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interesting comments, Atticus. I have to disagree, however, that there were 3 majors at one time. Bobby Jones won the ''Grand Slam'' in 1930, i.e. the amateur and Open championships of both the UK and USA. At that time they were the ''majors''. Jones retired from golf because of ill health but created the Masters in his native Georgia. Since then the game has changed and evolved and we now have the ''4 Majors''. Nobody ever sat down and decided that certain golf tournaments would be the ''majors''. Some Americans would like their TPC to be a ''major''. Some of us might like the European Open to be one. But isn't it tradition that counts? Bit like Wimbledon being a tennis major when we're crap at tennis (although things are looking up!)
Regards
Shanker.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have long argued that we can't really measure Tiger against Jack because of the vast changes in equipment, sports conditioning and the courses themselves.

Therefore a change in what constitutes a Major and which events should be Majors is valid.

To become a Major the European Open either needs a permanent home or a cycle of tougher courses (I don't think the London Club meets that standard).

Five Majors would be good with one in Asia/Australia/South Africa. Looking at the number of good players from these areas both in the past and currently I think it unreasonable that there isn't one.

(of course it wouldn't suit US TV scheduling).

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
We have long argued that we can't really measure Tiger against Jack because of the vast changes in equipment, sports conditioning and the courses themselves.

Therefore a change in what constitutes a Major and which events should be Majors is valid.

To become a Major the European Open either needs a permanent home or a cycle of tougher courses (I don't think the London Club meets that standard).

Five Majors would be good with one in Asia/Australia/South Africa. Looking at the number of good players from these areas both in the past and currently I think it unreasonable that there isn't one.

(of course it wouldn't suit US TV scheduling).

Good point and to add...would the standard of golf in the rest of world be just as good if not better in some parts than the US to warrant different locations for majors? It's not just Americans winning everything these days. After all, the Ryder cup in recent years has pointed at a downturn in US golfing ability (contentious, I know, but i think it's true)!

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm suprised there isn't a "major" in Dubai.

They have loads of courses from what I understand, and I'd imagine they'd pay handsomely to get a tournament labelled as a major!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sadly the USPGA as a golfing body hold way too much sway to allow another major or reduce the ranking of the PGA event or allow another major to develop. The 3 majors in the US are the main form of advertising revenue golfing wise and revered on US sport networks int he same way we have Royal Ascot or the boat race. I can't see CBS the Golf Channel or NBC being that fussed on covering a European Major live or a Southern hemisphere event given the time differences and the havoc on schedules