What are your experiences of playing by the new rules?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1 Played to most new rules and mostly agree they do help. I know all changes but can still revert to old habits by mistake.

2 No, Not had any problems.

3;Some yes others definitely not and some said they are not going to read them

4 putting with flag is ok but I prefer it out or attended and as mentioned some people have said they will refuse to attend if asked , I think that’s wrong.
Only one I don’t like is being able to clean up your swing path by removing LI in penalty areas that just seems wrong.

5 just normal nothing has really changed except first putt from distance.

6 some of our members have gold plated balls and won’t give up???

7 yes mainly dropping. One said all yellow hazards are now red even if it has yellow stakes and dropped laterally.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve played with 2 four balls this year of people I didn’t know and you wouldn’t have thought any rules had changed. No ready golf, flag out or asked if you wanted it tended, dropping from shoulder height, correct order of play from the tee etc. Both groups did know about new rules but it was perfectly obvious they had no intention of ever changing. And when they have asked if you want to join them for a game and they are nice friendly people i figured it best just to go along with them.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
do you feel like you know the main changes yet?
The main ones yes

any new rules you are still confused by or unsure of?
Was unsure if r when ball was back in play after wrong drop . Got answer on here see rules section for question and answer .

do you feel the golfers you have played with this year have got to grips with the new rules yet?
Definitely not its bit worrying , mind you they probably weren't great with old ones 😀

what new rules have you had to bring into play?
Drop , some people were unsure so I gave committee the pictures from Golf Monthly to put up ..

experiences of putting with the flagstick in
Yes b a runner for long putts but like it out for the short ones

experiences of new reduced 3 minute search time
Not yet
have you seen anyone inadvertently breaking the rules because they're not aware of the changes?
No

I have copied the old rule versus from 2019 on pages u printed in Golf Monthly and shared them with 3local clubs , people are finding them very helpful

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I leave the flagstick in when putting downhill, ive found it increases confidence.

Ive only had to drop once, I find it ridiculous, I can only imagine how seniors across the country are finding it.

Ill be honest I give up looking for balls after 2 mins so 3 mins limit is welcome to me, I find it shocking I can split the fairway and still play out of a divot.

dronfield

Visit site
Played a couple of times since the start of the year with the Sat morning roll up;

We play ready golf, and that does speed up play.

We left flag in for longer putts, but generally removed it for 6 ft inwards. Did putt with flag in on a couple of short putts and it felt strange.

Stroke n distance - think more emphasis needs to be placed on fact that this is a Local Rule option, and not permitted in comps/qualifiers. Some thought this was a new rule that was now in play.

No issues re 3 min search or dropping rule.

Rich

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When you're in a fourball and one of the group decides she wants the flagstick left in for every putt. Which caused even more delays because she would not putt without it no matter the distance.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When you're in a fourball and one of the group decides she wants the flagstick left in for every putt. Which caused even more delays because she would not putt without it no matter the distance.
I had that issue. I wanted the flag in on 99% of my putts and all the 4 ball took their first putts with it in. Then they'd insist on having it out. In the end I simply hit my putt and then holed out first with it in and left them all to putt with it out. Didn't cause an issue after the 3rd hole and as putts were dropping anyway there weren't too many times I had to worry and second putts were tap ins anyway

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Magnificent.

Simply magnificent. Shaving 20+ minutes off a round. Just need the snowflakes and dinosaurs to follow suit and golf will be enjoyable for all again. Could start getting close to 3 hour medal rounds with a bit of thought and consideration.

Flag in rule is a God send. Reduces time on the greens and eliminates "tending". Putt and go.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Magnificent.

Simply magnificent. Shaving 20+ minutes off a round. Just need the snowflakes and dinosaurs to follow suit and golf will be enjoyable for all again. Could start getting close to 3 hour medal rounds with a bit of thought and consideration.

Flag in rule is a God send. Reduces time on the greens and eliminates "tending". Putt and go.
It dosnt ELIMINATE attending that’s still a choice!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Dropping from knee height is pants. Should be shoulder to knee.

Pin in, who cares.

Ready golf? Done this for ages.

3 minutes for a lost ball? Who puts a clock on it anyway.