What am i doing wrong?

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hello i usually hit my driver between 220 - 250 which isn't too bad.
Didn't have the best driving round today so the last few par 4s i decided to drive off with my 5 wood and i was hitting it 230 - 240 on both the par 4s i tried.

So my question what am i doing wrong with my driver then?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hello i usually hit my driver between 220 - 250 which isn't too bad.
Didn't have the best driving round today so the last few par 4s i decided to drive off with my 5 wood and i was hitting it 230 - 240 on both the par 4s i tried.

So my question what am i doing wrong with my driver then?

if thats carry, then what you are doing wrong is not being on tour;)

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hitting a 5 wood 230 /240 is near Forum average. Rory hits his around 245 so I guess he must have registered. ;)

Not a great help to me but thanks for the reply anyway. ;)

I do actually hit my 5 wood 230 recently i even measured it to be sure of the distance.
I hit my driver 220 - 240 so why does my 5 wood go further?

I dont swing the 5 wood harder, My driver doesn't have a big slice so I'm losing distance.

Any actually real help would be appreciated, thanks

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

I do actually hit my 5 wood 230 recently i even measured it to be sure of the distance.

I dont swing the 5 wood harder, My driver doesn't have a big slice so I'm losing distance.

It's tricky without seeing you , or having never played with you to guess.

Another option, after my curve question, would be the flight of the ball. Do you hit a high ball? It could be something to do with how the ball is launching and how much spin you're putting on the ball.

I know the stock Fubuki shaft in the 5 wood is a pretty good shaft. I know it's a 'made for', but it's still pretty good in my expeience. Gives a mid to low flight and feels quite stable with mid/low spin (.. I believe).

I have no real knowledge of Ping stock shafts (Assuming to comes with a Ping stock shaft) so mayb the difference is there?

If the Ping shaft is generating more in and balooning the ball, you're bound to lose a little distance.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

OK, to clarify.

Hitting a driver 220 / 240 is very good for an amateur golfer, what is your handicap? The distance you hit your 5 wood is very good. Are these average distances or your very best?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've seen ( quite old) research indicting that many midf-high handicap guys actually hit 5-wood further than Driver.

@Spawn. What do you use your 3-wood for? How far does it go?

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's tricky without seeing you , or having never played with you to guess.

Another option, after my curve question, would be the flight of the ball. Do you hit a high ball? It could be something to do with how the ball is launching and how much spin you're putting on the ball.

I know the stock Fubuki shaft in the 5 wood is a pretty good shaft. I know it's a 'made for', but it's still pretty good in my expeience. Gives a mid to low flight and feels quite stable with mid/low spin (.. I believe).

I have no real knowledge of Ping stock shafts (Assuming to comes with a Ping stock shaft) so mayb the difference is there?

If the Ping shaft is generating more in and balooning the ball, you're bound to lose a little distance.

Thank you that's certainly something i could look at, Id say my driver goes high but not so high its ballooning, just a nice high ish arch

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've seen ( quite old) research indicting that many midf-high handicap guys actually hit 5-wood further than Driver.

@Spawn. What do you use your 3-wood for? How far does it go?

I have not hit my 3 wood for a long time but that goes quite far too, its got exactly the same shaft and everything as the 5 wood

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thank you that's certainly something i could look at, Id say my driver goes high but not so high its ballooning, just a nice high ish arch

If you're getting a high arc, chances are you're not getting maximum run when the ball lands which is causing the distance to be similar to your 5 wood.

Either that or you middle the 5 wood more than you do with your driver.

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
OK, to clarify.

Hitting a driver 220 / 240 is very good for an amateur golfer, what is your handicap? The distance you hit your 5 wood is very good. Are these average distances or your very best?

My handicap is 10 , My driver distances are averages always between 220 - 240 the odd 250 shot.

Wasn't having the best driver day so last few par 4s decided to drive with 5 wood and i measured the shots at 233 and 236 on the 2 par 4s i used my 5 wood to drive with.

Just dont understand why i hit my 5 wood that far and with a similar good drive with my driver goes 250 max

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd suggest you try the 3-Wood off the tee in a couple of friendlies.

I wouldn't be surprised if your Driver down-swing is one long sweep, while the 5-wood (and hopefully the 3) is a 'proper' golf swing.

It's pretty easy to drop into the safe swing mode like that with the Driver and often all that happens if you give it a real crack is that the ball goes higher!

Could be time for an assessment by the Pro.

I doubt it's a shaft issue, though that's a possibility.

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd suggest you try the 3-Wood off the tee in a couple of friendlies.

I wouldn't be surprised if your Driver down-swing is one long sweep, while the 5-wood (and hopefully the 3) is a 'proper' golf swing.

It's pretty easy to drop into the safe swing mode like that with the Driver and often all that happens if you give it a real crack is that the ball goes higher!

Could be time for an assessment by the Pro.

I doubt it's a shaft issue, though that's a possibility.

I have noticed with my 5 wood it has more of a penetrating flight, As as few of you have mentioned possibly getting more roll with my 5 wood

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Videos for comparison would be useful.

Ball could be too far forward (or you're staying too much back) with your driver, causing you to hit up at it too much and causing the high flight with little rollout. Or you could be swinging slower with your driver to maintain control, where you're just bashing your 5 wood.

I'm sure that's not helped

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Videos for comparison would be useful.

Ball could be too far forward (or you're staying too much back) with your driver, causing you to hit up at it too much and causing the high flight with little rollout. Or you could be swinging slower with your driver to maintain control, where you're just bashing your 5 wood.

I'm sure that's not helped

Hello yes it did help,
I dont bash my 5 wood no, But maybe swinging slower with the driver to "make sure" of a good hit is possible.
When using my 5 wood is a small head and well i dont have any leeway so i tend to just try and hit it best as i can with the fastest controllable swing i can.

Maybe with the driver I'm just not giving it all because of the fear