What a turn around

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I dare say that I could have posted this in the I played today thread, but I am buzzing and thought it deserved new thread.

Today was our Lady Captain's Day, I didn't start very well, a couple of early double bogeys, I couldn't get a fairway wood into the air and after 4 putting the 8th I wasn't in a great frame of mind and 9 over par.

And then things changed, despite just missing the green on the par 3 9th, I holed my putt for a birdie then at the half way house while having a Pimms I said 'Well all I need to do is par every hole on the back nine..'
I didn't, but I did par 8 of then plus one bogey for a 2 under handicap and I won the comp on a card play off.

So 9 over after the first 8 and then played the last 10 in level par,I was shocked but pleased, also got a cut down to 10 too.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well done on the win.
Pardon my ignorance but what is "a card play off"?

A card play off is used to determine a winner when more than one player has the same score and a play off is not practical. the best back nine is used, and if they are the same then the last 6, then 3 then 1 holes are used

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I was beating myself up a month or so ago because I was smashing it for 14/15 holes then blowing up to finish in BZ. Spoke to our greenkeeper who plays off 1. He said " the more you put yourself in that position the more it will happen one day". It did, I smashed it for 40 points with another three or four left out there. Now playing at me lowest of 18.9. Well done Lou.
PS, names gone look good in gold writing on the wall. 😁👍

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
A card play off is used to determine a winner when more than one player has the same score and a play off is not practical. the best back nine is used, and if they are the same then the last 6, then 3 then 1 holes are used

I suspect most folk would be more likely to recognise the term "won on countback"....but well done....its good to turn things around and often there is no rhyme or reason as to why it happens....though a slug of alcohol at the "critical point" is often cited as a contributory factor in such instances!!!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
My craziest turn around was a couple of weeks ago in a Stableford comp.
First nine: 12 over.
Second nine: 1 under.
And there was no alcohol involved halfway round!

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a similar situation yesterday.

I started bogey, bogey, then had a 9 on a par 4. So I was 7 over after 3 holes.

Played the next 6 in level par, and played the back 9 to 3 over gross to finish with 11 over, on a Par 71 that plays 73 SSS. Due to the 9, I still got cut 0.6 down from 9.7 to 9.1

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It happens all too often. One of our 4 ball yesterday had 7 points front 9......back 9 he had 22. he made a profit with that back 9, but it astonishes me those variations