WGC Mexico

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
yep but he was in a great position at the start of the day but sadly he just seems to struggle and can’t seem to get over the line these days and that has to play on his mind.
He was 4 behind Arguably the best player in the last 10 years... not sure how he was supposed to get over the line...

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He was 4 behind Arguably the best player in the last 10 years... not sure how he was supposed to get over the line...

So are you saying anytime DJ plays then nobody has a chance ?

Not sure that's something the rest of the players would agree with, Rory must have went into today's round thinking he had a chance, he did say his game was in great shape

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just caught the highlights this morning. I think every pro in the field would have asked the question in both situations (tree relief) Johnson's stance doesn't seems outrageously wide and around shoulder width (whether it could play it with a narrower stance doesn't really come into it because there's no way for the ref to prove he would use a narrow stance)
Rory's circumstances looked a bit thinner on evidence for his claim and probably why he didn't really push it (but wrong of him to say 'but you gave DJ relief on the last hole' as if that should have any bearing)

Very strong back 9 for DJ but I'd love to see a bit more emotion from him (even his attempts at a fist pump seem overly controlled)
As a runner up with a million bucks it was still a very good week for Rory on a course suited to the bombers and he's not alone being (relatively) poor on the greens with more than a few having trouble putting

Interesting to hear one of the US commentators describing Augusta as a 'bombers paradise' (not sure they'd like that tag)

Footnote; watching Garcia finish up I see he's made a fundamental change to his follow through on bunker shots where he now seems to have a single movement to complete the stroke. So he's clearly (temporarily anyway) dropped the extended 3 or 4 additional full swings which I never really saw the benefit in anyway :eek: (is it weird I keep looking at his feet when he's on a green to see if he's dragging :unsure:)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
So are you saying anytime DJ plays then nobody has a chance ?

Not sure that's something the rest of the players would agree with, Rory must have went into today's round thinking he had a chance, he did say his game was in great shape
You said he doesn’t get over the line. He literally had no chance today. Would of had to shoot 60 in the final group. He’s had 4 top 5s in a row, and not one of those did he ‘lose’

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You said he doesn’t get over the line. He literally had no chance today. Would of had to shoot 60 in the final group. He’s had 4 top 5s in a row, and not one of those did he ‘lose’

Mind blowing, you said he has had 4 top 5's in a row and didn't lose any of them......he did he lost all off them just like all the other guys who finished behind the winner

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mind blowing, you said he has had 4 top 5's in a row and didn't lose any of them......he did he lost all off them just like all the other guys who finished behind the winner
Jeez be more pedantic. There is a clear difference. Ok maybe not in a grammatical sense but anyone who understands sport to some level knows there is difference between losing an event and someone else winning. Rory finished with 6 birdies in his last 8 holes and gained one shot on DJ

Did Ernie Els lose the 2000 US open when tiger won by 15? No absolutely not.

Did Greg Norman lose the 96 masters? Absolutely

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Ah we haven’t had a Bomber going at McIlroy for a while

Anyway Johnson was superb all four days - Rory on the Friday just let him create that gap then after that he was just too far behind , a few mistakes from being a bit too agressive and a few missed putts. It shows that to win you need to be right at the top of your game - DJ was , Rory was just a bit below But he has started the season well and he is building very nicely to the big ones - can see a great season for Rory this year.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice to see Rory playing some solid consistent golf. The last few years he's been very hit or miss, so nice to see him with some consistent top 5's without ever really hitting top gear. Hopefully means he's building nicely ahead of Major season, would love to see him have a big year and pick up a couple of Majors.

Fair play to DJ as well, he's an absolute monster. Closes in on Rose's #1 spot with that win, and joins Tiger, Watson, Mickelson and Miller as the only players to win 20 PGA Tour events before the age of 35. A remarkable achievement made all the more impressive when you realise 11 of them are Majors, WGCs or Fed Ex Playoff events. He comes good in the big events.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice to see Rory playing some solid consistent golf. The last few years he's been very hit or miss, so nice to see him with some consistent top 5's without ever really hitting top gear. Hopefully means he's building nicely ahead of Major season, would love to see him have a big year and pick up a couple of Majors.

Fair play to DJ as well, he's an absolute monster. Closes in on Rose's #1 spot with that win, and joins Tiger, Watson, Mickelson and Miller as the only players to win 20 PGA Tour events before the age of 35. A remarkable achievement made all the more impressive when you realise 11 of them are Majors, WGCs or Fed Ex Playoff events. He comes good in the big events.
He goes to no1 next week as none of them are playing

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I saw this earlier. It’s still good for the kids, but not quite as impromptu as it appears. They’re the kids of a Mexican journalist and was planned apparently. Still good though. Especially for he Rickie Fan 😂😂😂
I didn't know it had been stage managed but I did wonder exactly how the kid would know exactly what outfit McIlroy would be wearing. All good PR and as you say great for the two kids

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dustin led the field in strokes-gained putting in Mexico and was 2nd in SG tee-to-green. Good luck beating him playing like that.

Also interesting to note that despite laying way back off the tee, Tiger was 6th in proximity to hole and led the field in SG approaching the green. Didn't putt well, and his accuracy off the tee wasn't great but his iron play is still the best in the world.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw this earlier. It’s still good for the kids, but not quite as impromptu as it appears. They’re the kids of a Mexican journalist and was planned apparently. Still good though. Especially for he Rickie Fan 😂😂😂
The European Tour have been doing this type of thing for a while now. The USA are copying a lot of their set ups for social media purposes. No problem with that, it's good pr, it gets people interested. Rory is good with the kids so set up or not everyone wins.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
With a course that tight, and that tree lined, I don't think it can be described as a bombers golf course. Yep, DJ and McIlroy hit it long, but they are also crazy straight. Driving like that would suit any golf course.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it was a fantastic tournament. As I've said, really enjoyed the layout of the place.

Great win by DJ and another great performance by Rory.

To say Rory lost it would be unkind. Maybe if he'd have holed a couple more putts on the front 9 on day 4 to put a bit more pressure on DJ it might have made it interesting but sometime you just have to put you're hands up and DJ was the better player over 4 days.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely a lot of positives for McIlroy from the WGC. I don't think his putting is strong enough over four days as a viewer on TV but I'm sure he knows far better than me where he needs to work on his game. Can only be one winner at any event and DJ played by far and away the best golf and was a deserved winner