Wexham Park

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Heads up if you are playing there for the foreseeable future, the Blue course is undergoing a major reconstruction and is currently being operated with a temporary layout. This means you now start on the original 3rd, the 2nd (original 4th) is now a par 3 with a temporary green. The 3rd (par 4) is entirely new on land next to the new 2nd. The 4th was also new to me, although it looked like it had been previously used as a hole. Several holes were part of the normal course but renumbered. The par for the course is now 65.

As a result GPS based distance measuring was a bit hit and miss and I gave up trying to tag my shots with Game Golf.

Looks like it could be like this for quite a while.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I knew they were going to be doing work, I think they posted about it in December.
http://www.wexhamparkgolfcentre.co.uk/development/

They already changed the whole course 5 or 6 years ago, now they're doing it all over again. It's hard to tell how much different it will be from the pictures on there. Assuming the driving is in the same place, it looks like where the 1st tee was will end up being the 18th green, and the new 1st tee is next to the old 18th green (which is now the 9th green?). I don't know why they've felt the need to change so radically, again.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looks like they are using the old 1st as a driving range at the moment, until the new space is ready. It will be an impressive golf centre when it is all finished but that could take years I reckon.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I knew they were going to be doing work, I think they posted about it in December.
http://www.wexhamparkgolfcentre.co.uk/development/

They already changed the whole course 5 or 6 years ago, now they're doing it all over again. It's hard to tell how much different it will be from the pictures on there. Assuming the driving is in the same place, it looks like where the 1st tee was will end up being the 18th green, and the new 1st tee is next to the old 18th green (which is now the 9th green?). I don't know why they've felt the need to change so radically, again.

I've played Wexham's different courses a number of times. It has always struck me as an ideal set up for people getting into golf and an ideal first place for people wanting to join a club and play a few comps and get a handicap. That said I've had issues there including bricks buried in bunkers, kids on bikes nicking balls and the conditions of the greens at times and so I am wondering what market they are targeting and what exactly they are looking for as a golf club set up. I am not sure (from my personal experience) that it would be a club I would want to play year on year and doesn't strike me as the most challenging of set ups (and gets very wet and muddy in the winter)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Played the Blue course today on its temporary layout with an old customer

Several of the greens are literally temps, just mown fairway , dry and bobbling as hell

Other Greens have been very heavily sanded, about 4 greens were decent.

It’s very short now, lots of 300 yard par 4’s it’s never been a big hitters course, but as the 2nd cut of rough is knee high plus, it is vital to keep it on the short stuff and plot your way round.

Ended with 33 points with 2 pars and a bird on the 17th

They were operating 2 balls 7 minutes apart, but were still held up quite badly, the group in front each played a provo on almost each Hole, followed by search time.
Place was rammed

The signage was very good and yes don’t bother with a gps until it is either remapped or the work done

They need to water a lot more, it’s very dry everywhere,

Enjoyable morning if a bit rough & ready ?