Wet conditions - changes to clubs carried..?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Recent weather means that most of us are getting used to playing in wet conditions. I’ve pretty much given up on my 3 and 4 irons. They just don’t seem to work as well off a sodden fairway, so I’ve put my 4 hybrid back in the bag in the hope that this will have a higher success rate.

I’ve been thinking about my wedges too. The 60deg feels like quite a risk so isn’t seeing much action. I could swap this for something else - maybe a driving iron to use off the tee on certain holes or when the wind is blowing.

I’ve been toying with going back to my old set of GI irons that have wider v-shape soles. They are more forgiving; maybe a better choice for wet wet wet days?

What changes do you make to your bag of clubs when it’s wet, and why?
I have recently dumped my 4 and 5 irons in favour of the equivalent hybrids. Got a decent deal via Golfbidder and the 5H was still in the wrapper and the 4 barely hit. Fantastic decision and so easy to hit off wet and muddy fairways and especially out of the rough. Had a shot (for second day running) from rough and a tree to clear. Took the 5H and sailed it over. I could never have done that with a 5 iron. I am going to get to a range at some point and go on toptracer or equivalent and get some data to prove what I really already know. I am also getting so much closer to the longer par 3's more often and have tighter dispersion to the green than with the irons

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I drop stuff out the bag for weight mainly as I am carrying. But it’s based on usage.. so 3 wood dropped, might increase the loft on my driver. 60 degree wedge .. bit of a frivolity when I can open a 56 up and the greens are nice and receptive.
But I am not sure I worry about my strike if it’s wet, hit the ball first and be done with it. Just have to accept distance is pure carry only.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As we are carry only at the moment, I just carry eight clubs. Driver, 3W, 2H, 5I, 7I, 9I, 50W, Putter. The hybrid doesn't get used in the summer.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Stop using my 54 and 58 degree clubs on full shots, my 50 gap wedge replaces these. I use my hybrid much more and reduce the use of my longer irons, but I still carry the full set most of the time

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
No 4, 6, 8 or PW in the bag at the mo. Just Driver, 4 wood, 21 Deg. Hybrid, 5, 7, 9, G, 56, 60 and putter. To be honest I should drop the 60 as that is low bounce and almost unusable in soggy conditions. I like the 5 for chip and runs around our temp. greens and low branch escapes. The Hybrid gets used a lot.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No 4, 6, 8 or PW in the bag at the mo. Just Driver, 4 wood, 21 Deg. Hybrid, 5, 7, 9, G, 56, 60 and putter. To be honest I should drop the 60 as that is low bounce and almost unusable in soggy conditions. I like the 5 for chip and runs around our temp. greens and low branch escapes. The Hybrid gets used a lot.

Your comment about the LW is interesting. I have a Ping SW (don't carry a 60 degree) but as it's 58 degrees it isn't too dissimilar. I have been using what Ping call their TS (thin sole) in the very wet conditions and found with less sole in contact with the ground I am able to pitch from wet lies much better. I have tried bit the SS (standard) and WS (wide sole) and found both took bigger divots and were more inconsistent. I've also found that the TS is also better out of the wet sand in bunkers (when they've been in play)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Recent weather means that most of us are getting used to playing in wet conditions. I’ve pretty much given up on my 3 and 4 irons. They just don’t seem to work as well off a sodden fairway, so I’ve put my 4 hybrid back in the bag in the hope that this will have a higher success rate.

I’ve been thinking about my wedges too. The 60deg feels like quite a risk so isn’t seeing much action. I could swap this for something else - maybe a driving iron to use off the tee on certain holes or when the wind is blowing.

I’ve been toying with going back to my old set of GI irons that have wider v-shape soles. They are more forgiving; maybe a better choice for wet wet wet days?

We moved to Spain. :cool:

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site

Speaking for myself, I depend on roll as well as carry from long irons and thus find high loft woods better in wet conditions.