Westwood's Non-Free Drop

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned here but just wanted to praise Lee Westwood for not trying it on with the rules official to get a free drop during yesterday's final round.

If anyone missed it, he hit his tee shot on one of the holes (apologies, I cannot remember which) off to the right and it ended up in the middle of a large bush. When he arrived at the ball it was lying in a rabbit scraping, for which he could have claimed a free drop. However, the rules official asked him if, had it not been in a scraping, and therefore no free relief available, would he attempt to play the ball as it lies, or would he take an unplayable. To his credit, Westwood immediately responded that he would take the unplayable, thereby negating any chance of a free drop. Kudos to him for his honesty. Exactly the spirit in which the game should be played, and a lot pf players could do well to follow his example.

I've always like Westwood as a player, and I know I like him even more. Hope he gets some really good results in the near future, he deserves them.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned here but just wanted to praise Lee Westwood for not trying it on with the rules official to get a free drop during yesterday's final round.

If anyone missed it, he hit his tee shot on one of the holes (apologies, I cannot remember which) off to the right and it ended up in the middle of a large bush. When he arrived at the ball it was lying in a rabbit scraping, for which he could have claimed a free drop. However, the rules official asked him if, had it not been in a scraping, and therefore no free relief available, would he attempt to play the ball as it lies, or would he take an unplayable. To his credit, Westwood immediately responded that he would take the unplayable, thereby negating any chance of a free drop. Kudos to him for his honesty. Exactly the spirit in which the game should be played, and a lot pf players could do well to follow his example.

I've always like Westwood as a player, and I know I like him even more. Hope he gets some really good results in the near future, he deserves them.

Not seen any if this and all credit to a Notts lad. Brought up proper you see. But is it not a grey area for the rules book. I mean Westy was honest but others maybe not so. So why was the onus put on Westy rather than the ref making a decision. Dont know the answer either way, just interested you see before it kicks off. again. 😁

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Because the ref asked Westwood if he would have attempted to play the ball out had it been sitting on a perfect lie within the bush, rather than in a scrape, the inference of which was that if that was the case, he could have the drop. Some (most?) players would have replied "yes" to that, knowing that they would never have attempted such a shot but could then drop outside of the bush for free. Westwood answered "no", and as such took an unplayable.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw it happening. Westwood didn't even hesitate when asked the question. I have a feeling Mickelson claimed a free drop on something similar not too long ago and we all mocked him for it. You have to be able to sleep at nights knowing you have won clean and within the spirit of the rules as well as within the letter of them. I'm pleased Westwood answered as he did. When golfers do otherwise they diminish themselves.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I saw it happening. Westwood didn't even hesitate when asked the question. I have a feeling Mickelson claimed a free drop on something similar not too long ago and we all mocked him for it. You have to be able to sleep at nights knowing you have won clean and within the spirit of the rules as well as within the letter of them. I'm pleased Westwood answered as he did. When golfers do otherwise they diminish themselves.
Think this is why i put me pointer out there. If the ref makes a decision. Its down to him. Ask the player and in some instances his integrity is questioned. As Kelly says. Would Westys decision of been any different if he was in contention. Suppose we will Never know.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Hundreds of thousands of pounds are not pennies to him. He's earned well over his career but he is not in the Woods, Mickleson, McIlroy category. He is also starting to come to the end of his big payday era. Even big earners would wince at dropping £100k

At around $50m in career earnings from golf alone, ignoring other sources of non-playing related income I’ll stick to the fact he really doesn’t care about £100k.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the rabbit scrape hadn’t been there though he may of considered playing it!
I saw where it was and it wasn’t good but his lie would have been totally different if the ball had rolled out of the scrape.
Well done for his honesty but I thought he should have considered it a bit longer.
I do think the ref was all for giving him a free drop until he said no.
Seve would have been looking for rabbit droppings.
It takes all sorts.

Sandsider

Visit site
I saw it and didn't think he could get a stance. I might have done being a lot smaller than Westy but I couldn't have made any sort of attempt to hit the ball. It was pretty deep in.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think if he had tried to play it it could have gone anywhere.
With a drop he at least had control of where it ended up.

I still think if the scrape wasn’t there the ball may have been more accessible but it’s history now,.