West Sussex - Chichester/ Goodwood area

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Please could anyone recommend golf clubs in the area.
I am looking for good all year round golf, a good driving range etc..

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chichester
is proprietary owned. Has two courses, 1 is better than the other. Neither in my opinion are great and some might even say neither are good. Also has a 30 ish bay range at approx £10 for 100 balls. There is a 9 hole pitch and putt course. the Whole set up is money money money and to me does not have the golf club vibe.
Goodwood
has 2 courses, the downs being the best one. Nice course in my opinion. Everything about Goodwood is pricey. This place does not have any form of dress code (good or bad for you) and Is certainly not a club. Good practice facilities
cowdray park.
very nice course and club. Hilly in places. Nice club feel. Can’t remember about practice facilities.
Hayling Island.
Drive for show is your man there he was a member until recently. BUT from north Chichester from April until October the A27 is a traffic jam around Chichester.
A little to the west is Rowlands Castle. Not a bad course. Nice club feel. No range only a couple of nets.
depending where in north Chichester you might even think about travelling north west for about 35 mins and you could have the pleasure Of the company of richart et al at Blackmoor.
with regards all year round it has to be Cowdray, Liphook, Hayling and Blackmoor.
i have often been found leaving the beach hut and frequenting certain establishments around that part of the world, so if you want a game or a pie and a pint give me a holler

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chichester
is proprietary owned. Has two courses, 1 is better than the other. Neither in my opinion are great and some might even say neither are good. Also has a 30 ish bay range at approx £10 for 100 balls. There is a 9 hole pitch and putt course. the Whole set up is money money money and to me does not have the golf club vibe.
Goodwood
has 2 courses, the downs being the best one. Nice course in my opinion. Everything about Goodwood is pricey. This place does not have any form of dress code (good or bad for you) and Is certainly not a club. Good practice facilities
cowdray park.
very nice course and club. Hilly in places. Nice club feel. Can’t remember about practice facilities.
Hayling Island.
Drive for show is your man there he was a member until recently. BUT from north Chichester from April until October the A27 is a traffic jam around Chichester.
A little to the west is Rowlands Castle. Not a bad course. Nice club feel. No range only a couple of nets.
depending where in north Chichester you might even think about travelling north west for about 35 mins and you could have the pleasure Of the company of richart et al at Blackmoor.
with regards all year round it has to be Cowdray, Liphook, Hayling and Blackmoor.
i have often been found leaving the beach hut and frequenting certain establishments around that part of the world, so if you want a game or a pie and a pint give me a holler
Thank you and thank you for the heads up on the A27. I was looking at a job in the area and having come from the south coast I was rather looking forward to coming home. I take my golf very seriously but this time we have an 8 yr old boy so his education will also be a major factor, unless I commute. Depending on what I do, the summer evening if I stay in the area would be spent on the course and no golf at the weekends... if we relocate then it will be golf in the evenings and some early fiddle/ roll up and comps 1 morning Of the weekend

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Harpo if you look at the 1st part of your intention about your golf with playing in the evenings then I think your best bet would be goodwood. The do a credit scheme with would play into your hands and the downs course is a good test. If you want an easy stroll and be able to open the shoulders with minimal consequence one evening then you have the park course. Now the 2nd part re fiddle, I would rule out goodwood, and taking golf seriously I think you would be disappointed with Chichester. I have played there a couple of times and I use the range so as I said in my previous post I would be more than happy to have a round with you there

D

Deleted Member 1156

No mentions for Bognor Regis. Don't know what it's like in the winter but I play their scratch open every year and thoroughly enjoy it. 4 or 5 difficult holes then the rest are good birdie chances, great fun and greens are excellent in summer. My ex boss is a member and it seems to be a friendly club with a good atmosphere. Worth considering.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No mentions for Bognor Regis. Don't know what it's like in the winter but I play their scratch open every year and thoroughly enjoy it. 4 or 5 difficult holes then the rest are good birdie chances, great fun and greens are excellent in summer. My ex boss is a member and it seems to be a friendly club with a good atmosphere. Worth considering.
The reason I didn’t mention Bognor, is that they are currently only accepting ladies and juniors and I think it will stay that way for this year as they filled up after the 1st lockdown.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The reason I didn’t mention Bognor, is that they are currently only accepting ladies and juniors and I think it will stay that way for this year as they filled up after the 1st lockdown.
I think quite a few clubs mentioned have waiting lists atm.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Harpo if you look at the 1st part of your intention about your golf with playing in the evenings then I think your best bet would be goodwood. The do a credit scheme with would play into your hands and the downs course is a good test. If you want an easy stroll and be able to open the shoulders with minimal consequence one evening then you have the park course. Now the 2nd part re fiddle, I would rule out goodwood, and taking golf seriously I think you would be disappointed with Chichester. I have played there a couple of times and I use the range so as I said in my previous post I would be more than happy to have a round with you there
Yes I had a look at the Goodwood course. I think I was thinking along your lines.
I usually do 3 months in a B and B before doing a relocation. So if I do take the role I will definitely be up for a to me or 2 mid week ?.
I did this previously and then narrowed our house search radius down - not a fan of long commutes.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I had a look at the Goodwood course. I think I was thinking along your lines.
I usually do 3 months in a B and B before doing a relocation. So if I do take the role I will definitely be up for a to me or 2 mid week ?.
I did this previously and then narrowed our house search radius down - not a fan of long commutes.
Keep in touch and wish you the best if it all happens

Blade Junkie

Visit site
I am a member at Goodwood. Well worth consideration, especially as a credit member. Granted it is not a traditional golf club, but there are plenty of competitions organised and the Golf Ops team run a good ship. The expensive part is food/drinks afterwards, as the pricing at the Kennels (Downs course) and the Hotel (Park course) is aimed at a more well-heeled clientele than your average golfer. As a credit member, rounds on the Park can be had for as little as £8 for 18 holes if you are able to play in the afternoon or early evening. Downs is more expensive but still great value if you plan carefully. There is also a membership option ("Braid" member) for unlimited golf and range balls. This runs to just over £2K a year and includes a dozen guest passes as well. All the membership types currently include 2 free tickets for the Festival of Speed each year (in a normal year anyway !), as the event uses part of The Park course, and hence the "compensation" for the golfers who are not able to use the course for a few days !

Cowdray Park is decent, and the pick in the area if you want a more traditional club. Full membership runs about £1800 a year (they have about 600 members I am told), and they also offer a credit member scheme. Very playable in Winter.

If you like Links golf then Littlehampton is also not far to travel from Chichester. It's not LInks for the full 18, but there are some decent holes, albeit not of the calibre you get at Hayling.