West Midlands Professional

WideEyedFox

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Since my previous Pro has now moved to Swaffham Golf Club in Norfolk, he is a bit far to travel to.

Can anyone recommend any Golf Pro's in the west midlands (Redditch ideally as I work there) ?

I've found Rob Davies at Abbey Park, Sam Johnston at Fulford Heath, David Down at Redditch Golf Club and Chris Stanley at "Redditch Golf Academy". There are also Pro's at Direct Golf at Becketts Farm/Solihull as well.

Ideally I'm looking for a Pro that would also do the odd lesson with my kids as well, or that runs a junior coaching programme on site.

I'm putting a list together to do a bit of a meet-and-greet.

Any experience anyone?

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi, I live in Birmingham, and am also currently looking for lessons to take me to the next level. I have looked into local pro's and there is a guy at Wast Hills Driving Range - opposite Birmingham City FC training ground that offers a very competitive rate on lessons and his reviews look good. I am potentially looking to book a few lessons with him when the weather gets a bit warmer and my bank balance has improved a bit!

Here is a link to his site: http://jamiecundygolf.co.uk/

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I use Neil at The Warwickshire but he's going back to Spain at the end of March. Mark (the boss) is highly recommended their also so I'll change to him when Neil jets off.

Excellent facilities and they've put me right since moving to them in September.

Easy journey from Redditch and South Birmingham.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I use Neil at The Warwickshire but he's going back to Spain at the end of March. Mark (the boss) is highly recommended their also so I'll change to him when Neil jets off.

Excellent facilities and they've put me right since moving to them in September.

Easy journey from Redditch and South Birmingham.

Slightly off topic, but i'm a student at Coventry University.

Could you recommend any courses in the Coventry area for me and a few golfing buddies to play. We are looking for somewhere fairly affordable to play (as students) and may possibly be bringing a few other guys that have never really played golf before...

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but i'm a student at Coventry University.

Could you recommend any courses in the Coventry area for me and a few golfing buddies to play. We are looking for somewhere fairly affordable to play (as students) and may possibly be bringing a few other guys that have never really played golf before...

I'd try the Windmill Golf & Leisure on the A45. Its short, not too testing and reasonable on costs and without the possible stuffiness of a members club, especially with some of your friends not playing before.

Brandon is the city's municipal but it can be a good test of golf.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd try the Windmill Golf & Leisure on the A45. Its short, not too testing and reasonable on costs and without the possible stuffiness of a members club, especially with some of your friends not playing before.

Brandon is the city's municipal but it can be a good test of golf.

Thank you, much appreciated! The three of us that originally arranged it are all keen golfers and play to a decent standard. The other 4 have only ever delved into driving ranges and are keen to have a 'hack'. I will have a look into these courses!

Thanks again!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Thank you, much appreciated! The three of us that originally arranged it are all keen golfers and play to a decent standard. The other 4 have only ever delved into driving ranges and are keen to have a 'hack'. I will have a look into these courses!

Thanks again!

I'd go with the Windmill personally. Brandon, although a municipal can have some wannabe numpty's on there.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd go with the Windmill personally. Brandon, although a municipal can have some wannabe numpty's on there.

Tbf, I play quite a few municipals in Birmingham so I know the type of numpty's you are referring to. One course in particularly Lickey Hills! Fantastic course, some challenging holes, I highly recommend it, if your up this way!!

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Windmill is the one just on the A45 next door to the Porsche garage isn't it?

I commute to Coventry from Birmingham so transport isn't a problem either!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Windmill is the one just on the A45 next door to the Porsche garage isn't it?

I commute to Coventry from Birmingham so transport isn't a problem either!

Yes that's the one.

I know Rob Hunter the Pro personally and the head greenkeeper Chris. They've done a lot of work their over the last couple of years and is much improved by all accounts although it's been 12 months since I played their along with John H Stracey in a Charity match for Cancer Research.

Starts with 3 par 3's which is a bit weird although off the whites the 2nd then is over 200 yards.

I think you'll enjoy it off the yellows, extra balls required as the back 9 has OOB on the left and there's a bit of water to go over ;)

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes that's the one.

I know Rob Hunter the Pro personally and the head greenkeeper Chris. They've done a lot of work their over the last couple of years and is much improved by all accounts although it's been 12 months since I played their along with John H Stracey in a Charity match for Cancer Research.

Starts with 3 par 3's which is a bit weird although off the whites the 2nd then is over 200 yards.

I think you'll enjoy it off the yellows, extra balls required as the back 9 has OOB on the left and there's a bit of water to go over ;)

Sounds a little different, starting with 3 par 3's! I'm quite tempted by Brandon though I have to say. For a muni, it looks decent!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't know if Worcester is a bit far for you but Martin Payne is good at Worcester Golf Range, he also does Junior coaching sessions at the weekends.

Worcester Golf and CC (Boughton Park) also has a very highly rated coach in Graham Farr, there is also his assistant Pro Ian Henry who runs weekend junior coaching sessions at a very low cost.

ziggyevans

Hacker
Visit site
I had an hour lesson with Alistair at The Belfry last night and I have to say he was really good. He uses the flight monitor and shows the difference in spin rates etc which is what I wanted. The price is £45 for an hour which I didn't think was bad at all.

WideEyedFox

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys - much appreciated. :thup: I'll check them out.

Warwickshire looks nice, and not too far either. Green fee's during the week are not too bad either. A work colleague and I foresee an off-site meeting creeping in to the calendar once the weather sorts itself out. :fore: