Weights on a driver.. Who is right.

V

vkurup

This year I was planning to change my driver, so have been looking into various options from an engineering point of view. This is before the Nike Covert came along with a cavity back and spoiled the party (See my full review here. Some manufacturers talk about the benefits of moving the weight to the back, some to the front, some to the sides etc so i was wondering which is would be optimum. In my simple mind, (ignoring the 'trampolining effect' off the face) I compare the positioning of the weights to my use of a hammer. If you think of the driver as a hammer hitting a nail, I think having the weights in the front would be a better idea than the back. Also since you want to get the ball up, I would assume front & low would be a good idea. Nike has gone with the same approach. Some others have done the same. (The big difference is that Nike went the extra step and chopped off he redundant bit and made into a marketing USP, though a petrol head would wonder if this compromises the aerodynamics of a club head moving at over 90mph?)

While I understand that placement of weights is just one of the contributing factors, it would be interesting to hear the group's view on this.

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
Rather than wondering about where the weights are ,surely its about hitting the Drivers you like and seeing which is right for your game or talking to you pro.
Every company seems to have discovered the holy grail with every new club release until they replace it 6 months later. Driver head technology can't go much further shafts can though. Go and hit some and pick one that feels right gives the right flight and figures on trackman if you read too much in to the adverts you'll vanish up your own backside

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk
Optimum for what? Toe and heel weighting will effect ball flight shape. Heel weighted = draw bias, toe weighted = fade. Loft and shaft will have more effect on flight than front/back weighting...