Weight Transfer - What a difference.

Visit site
I stsrted playing this game 12mths ago and have gone from having a terrible slice to a slight fade or push.

Anyway you know when you have an idea of trying something new, well I did this last week by rotating my top half, loading up on my right leg and ensuring that I came through to a good finish with weight and resistance (straight left leg) on the left side.

Well, what a difference, straight as a die my 9iron on our Par 3 went 139yrds, and yesterday on our 3rd I drove the green Par 4 270 yrds.

Its such a good feeling when things click! :)

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
This is exactly what i have been working on for the last few range sessions, mainly with the driver ,and i have had good results. I missed only 1 fairway today :mad:

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good for you!

I felt a huge improvement in my game once my pro told me "how" I ought to be standing at the end of my swing...
to get here, I needed to do quite a lot more than I was.

For me, turning "over" the right leg and sitting into the flex has proved my make-or-break thing over the years.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I've been working on rotating my hips before i've struck the ball instead of afterwards like i normally do.

Just something i noticed (which i've never really noticed before) watching the WGC in that all (or most) pro's right foot is already starting to leave the ground and their hips have fully rotated before they strike the ball.

I tried it out yesterday with some bloody good results, then the pro at the range pissed me off by telling me my driver is no good for me as i need a stiff shaft instead of regular....i've only just began being able to use it :(

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I'm kind of happy with it, i still get a fade on 95% of shots and it is rare i hit it dead straight. I've only started using it since June last year as before then i hit a huge slice with it every time.

The pro said i needed a stiff shaft which "would probably" cure the fade :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you have a fade that is consistant but not a true slice I'd play with it. Monty's stock shot off the tee was a nice fade which helped him control the ball so don't go changing your kit unnecessarily and work with what you have. Its good that you are getting the weight movement correct and this will help give you more consistant results.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I can't see how just changing to a stiffer shaft is ever going to cure a fade. It is swing path related, not flex, however in general, the stiffer the shaft, the more likely you are to not square the club face, hence even more fade.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Are you sure you heard him correctly?
As Murph correctly said if the shaft is too stiff for you, it will return to impact with the clubface slightly open hence the fade.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That is strange.
If your swing speed is to fast for the shaft the pic below shows the result
bendy.jpg

How fast is your swing speed?
I suggest you go and find a second opinion

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was told that my swing was too fast for the shaft I had at the time (Ben Sayers M7 package driver) as that was promoting a huge slice.

I was 'put on the radar' and anything over 72 would slice (it really was a poor shaft, it could almost be rotated by hand). As my 'normal' swing speed was then 88, I just went up to a regular.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Well, he maybe right!!

I took the opportunity of asking to be fitted out for a driver whilst at The Belfry, the pro who fitted me out made me hit a few balls with my MP-001 before kitting me out with an MP-600 with a stiff shaft, result = out of 15 balls i hit 11 straight drives, 2 duffs and 2 with a slight fade, the nice lad then showed me how to put a draw on my drives too so i can do that now :)

I need a new driver!!!