Weekend break close to London, ideas?

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Walmer & Kingsdown + North Foreland through yourgolftravel? Are you limited to weekends?

good courses but a bit further than an hour from Croydon I would think

Alternatively Old Thorns seems to be popular with people I know who have been but can't speak to it personally.

Last edited:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I liked old thorns, but I know it divides opinion. Worth a look, Baz...

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hate to say it Chris.
Bit of a goat track.
:mad:

Yeh its not amazing, good enough for a leisurely knock with some mates that are not big into golf, but for "proper" golfers nah.. The hotel is lovely though and the Mrs rated the spa!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yeh its not amazing, good enough for a leisurely knock with some mates that are not big into golf, but for "proper" golfers nah.. The hotel is lovely though and the Mrs rated the spa!

Only played it the twice, both times during the winter(ish) months.
Bit quaggy in a lot of places, and quite a few boring up and down holes.
Reminded me a bit of Edenbridge......

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only played it the twice, both times during the winter(ish) months.
Bit quaggy in a lot of places, and quite a few boring up and down holes.
Reminded me a bit of Edenbridge......

Played it in december 14, it was wet but coped quite well. Greens were fluffy but tidy (to be expected in Dec!) Nothing to write home about though, the course i found got interesting from the 12/13th ish. Nothing of interest on the front nine except the 2nd or 3rd with a green tucked behind a pond, but even that was a bit dull to get there.

Like is say, it is what it is. Cheap decent enough golf for a leisurely society/group, even a couples away weekender with the races and the spa/hotel, but for a proper golf break it doesnt cut the mustard as a course.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lingfield isnt the best of courses ,i have played it many many times as it was part of a corporate membership deal that a mate had so it was cheap golf for us. i wouldnt recommend it as a stay and play .

D

Deleted Member 1156

Also its worth speaking to golf clubs about society deals if your not staying there, i am sure something like st georges hill one day and woking the next would appeal.

Or even staying someone near the berkshire and playing both courses there if you can get a deal (also great lunch)

Erm...you did see the £200 budget? Some of those clubs would be close to that just for 1 days golf never mind a 2nd day and accommodation.

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
Erm...you did see the £200 budget? Some of those clubs would be close to that just for 1 days golf never mind a 2nd day and accommodation.
Yes i did see the budget have you looked into the golf clubs and prices?

For example you can get brunch and 18 holes at west hill for £85 per person, by my calculation at that price for 2 days would be £170 for golf leaving £30 a head for a room i am sure you can find somewhere close by for a twin room at £60 for the night (premier inn Woking).

All it takes is a phone call to the golf club and ask the question, i was only trying to help but as usual you pour scorn at anyone elses suggestions.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yes i did see the budget have you looked into the golf clubs and prices?

For example you can get brunch and 18 holes at west hill for £85 per person, by my calculation at that price for 2 days would be £170 for golf leaving £30 a head for a room i am sure you can find somewhere close by for a twin room at £60 for the night (premier inn Woking).

All it takes is a phone call to the golf club and ask the question, i was only trying to help but as usual you pour scorn at anyone elses suggestions.

Fair enough but you were referring to SGH and The Berkshires, certainly wouldn't get those within budget :(

And the bold bit, not sure what you mean by that?

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
Fair enough but you were referring to SGH and The Berkshires, certainly wouldn't get those within budget :(
St georges do deals when its their maintenance week and the berkshire are extremly good if you speak to the secretary over the phone, it has been known for them to do their day deal (i think about £150 for 2 rounds) over 2 days. for sure worth a phone call.

Also with so many good courses in the region its worth a few calls and ask the question

D

Deleted Member 1156

St georges do deals when its their maintenance week and the berkshire are extremly good if you speak to the secretary over the phone, it has been known for them to do their day deal (i think about £150 for 2 rounds) over 2 days. for sure worth a phone call.

Also with so many good courses in the region its worth a few calls and ask the question

OK, so why not put this in your original post instead of slagging someone off?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you're starting from South London, you can get down to Seaford in an hour.

Proper golf course, and the Dormy House has decent rooms. Food is good. Nightlife not so much, but there is a snooker room...

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
OK, so why not put this in your original post instead of slagging someone off?
In my original post i gave some suggestions, you then questioned whether i had read the opening post, it seems to me your very quick to jump on anyone who has an idea or suggestion, not slagging you off just my opinion, my apologies if i caused any offence as that was not my intention

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Another shout for Seaford, you could stay in the Dormy house after your round and then pop down to Seaford Head and take on Cardiac Hill!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Another shout for Seaford, you could stay in the Dormy house after your round and then pop down to Seaford Head and take on Cardiac Hill!

Would certainly make a good second day - morning and lunch at Seaford, pop across town and play a twilight on the Head as the sun goes down....

D

Deleted Member 1156

In my original post i gave some suggestions, you then questioned whether i had read the opening post, it seems to me your very quick to jump on anyone who has an idea or suggestion, not slagging you off just my opinion, my apologies if i caused any offence as that was not my intention

No offence taken :thup: :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers for the replies guys, we've opted for princes as it seems for this period availability was limited and we didn't want to go much later in the year.

The last time I played princes it was mid December on a forum meet so hopefully early October should in theory be a lot warmer.