Where to go? UK golf trip - Home Counties

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Planning a one night, two day trip next year for my 40th - I want somewhere with ideally two courses (not the be all and end all if not), a hotel and not a million miles away from Kent/London area - Plan was to drive there, check in, go out for a round, dinner, beers and giggles, then roll onto the next day after a good nights sleep and a full English! Oh and not requiring me to sell a kidney to pay for it!

At the moment I've got the following courses, but save going on the websites I've not got any experience of them.

Dale Hill
East Sussex National
Gatton Manor
Lingfield Park
Foxhills
Luton Hoo
Langdon Hills

Any thoughts on these places would be appriecated, Likewise any suggestions would be welcomed!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
You need to think a little about off course entertainment, dale hill, woosnan course is good (or was 6 years ago;)). But it’s in the middle of nowhere. East Sussex, both courses are great...but do you want to be in the hotel all the time? I’m not sure what a night out in uckfield is like.
Don’t know about the rest? Fox hills would be good, the facilities are supposed to be top notch. I’m pretty sure that gatton manor is now a farmers field.
If it were me, and a few other fellas were going, I’d choose a course that I wanted to play & get a travelodge nearby, so I’m not spending the evening in some hotel bar. If you did that, you’ve endless options.
That said, old thorns maybe a good option. The course was ok this year when I played it & the theme nights in the hotel are supposed to be awesome. I heard some stories about the spice girl tribute event :eek::eek::eek:

D

Deleted member 25172

I’m actually heading off to Dale Hill for a mini break in approximately 2 hours time, so I can give you a review tomorrow afternoon once back.

We’re paying £109 for 1 nights accommodation, dinner and 2 rounds.

D

Deleted member 25172

Midway update: Woosnam course in really good nick apart from a few bunkers that had either too much sand in them or more like a concrete surface. It is in the middle of nowhere here so I don’t expect the night to turn into an all nighter...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played both Foxhills courses just this week and thought they were both great BUT already quite soggy underfoot (mainly the rough) in places. Fairways like carpets and greens very true. Hotel was nice and we ate in Bar 19 as just wanted a casual meal. It was noisy as there was a society eating and drinking in there but that's fine and could suit your needs. Breakfast was decent enough too.

D

Deleted member 25172

Dale Hill - Day after.

Golf: Played a round each at Woosnam and the Old Course.
If possible, I’d recommend to add a few quid and get both rounds for the Woosnam course and take the first round as a “practice round”. It was really nice but quite tricky so you need a round to get a grip of it as there are plenty of holes where you need to use the brain over the muscles to set yourself up for a good score.
The old course was more straight forward and not as interesting. It’s still a decent course, but I personally felt that I had unfinished business with Woosnam when leaving.

Rooms: Good standard with spacious bathrooms. Nothing to complain about there.

Night: Well, the food was alright and I had a good bunch of guys with me, but if you’re looking for more of a nightlife setup, I believe you should look elsewhere. We did Sunday/Monday though which of course played it’s part, but it didn’t feel like a place that had a thriving night scene.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dale Hill certainly isn't the place for any sort of nightlife outside the hotel bar, unless you fancy a hefty taxi ride into Tunbridge, T Wells or even Hastings.
East Sussex National will be the same, nice hotel and facilities, two good courses but in the middle of the countryside.
Gatton Manor - did someone say its now farmers fields, meaning closed i guess?
Lingfield Park - Horrible Marriott hotel and not that good a course, good value break but I wouldn't rush back to play it again.
Foxhills - Looks good and heard lots of nice things about it. From this list Id choose here most likely.
Luton Hoo - you've been wanred!
Langdon Hills - don't know this.

D

Deleted member 21258

Langdon Hills

This is near Basildon in Essex. Last played it on a society day about a year ago(or was it 2 years ago now), never stayed on site. Plenty of evening stuff fairly close(taxi ride) if you are that way inclined, pick your drinking area as quite a lot of towns near by.

3 loops of 9 holes . 18 holes are the main and the other 9 are a shorter course. Some pleasant holes and some good views, ideal for a mixed handicap society, not looking for top prices on a top course.

Scott W

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Company makes the trip - we (a dozen 40 somethings) did ESN a few years ago and actually had a night out in Uckfield...it got messy - we went to apparently what was voted the 2nd worst nightclub in the UKI (or so we were told by some local folks)..it was a riot (at least what I can remember) managed to bust an iphone and almost an ankle...

...golf wise really liked the ESN courses and had the advantage of club guys who will store and occasionally clean you bats between rounds - just leave them and go to the bar! (you get the theme here!)

Final aside...I took this pic ...context was I was trying to decide if I should go for a green on a long hole, protected by water etc. ....wandered over to a sprinkler to get a yardage and was amused to see this advice..in addition to the yardage (see attached)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 24