Wedges

BennyBoy85

Visit site
I’ve currently only got a sand wedge and pitching wedge in my bag.
My short game isn’t a total disaster but could do with some work.
Should I be looking at having another wedge option in my bag. I’m pretty clueless when it comes to the available options?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per Fabia999

If your set of clubs were made this century then it is pretty certain that the gap between the SW and the PW is too big.
Personally I would always recommend 52 over 50 as the extra bit of loft will give a bit more control around the greens.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yep..you need to know the lofts but you also need to know how far you hit them before planning anything else.
Say they're 45 and 56 and you hit them 120 and 90 yards.
Your GW needs to hit about 105 but a 52 might not do it, you may need a 50...

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yep..you need to know the lofts but you also need to know how far you hit them before planning anything else.
Say they're 45 and 56 and you hit them 120 and 90 yards.
Your GW needs to hit about 105 but a 52 might not do it, you may need a 50...

Agree you need to know how far you hit them my 52 gap wedge is 80 yards max. ?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Yes, another wedge could be a good idea.

But... Only if your technique needs it. personally, I'd get a short game lesson from a decent pro. I use everything between 7 iron and lob wedge from 100 yards in - choosing the shot I want to play and then the club for that shot. After a lesson and some work on the range you may feel you definitely would benefit from another option, or you may feel that you're happy playing without. Only you can really decide.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I personally have my PW (45), a 50, 54 and 60.

The 54 was bought specifically for shots around the greens (i.e. to play from turf rather than sand), and I basically use it for all shots from 75 yards and in.
The 60 has 12 degrees of bounce and is used almost exclusively for greenside bunkers.

The 54 has transformed my short game and I now commit to the shot and trajectory for all 'fiddly' shorter yardages, rather than worrying if I should be running in an 8 iron or playing a PW 2/3 of the way etc. Has massively helped with shot selection and cut down the number of poor shots due to not feeling confident about club / shot selection.

I now feel confident about getting up and down from 75 yards and in. Don't always manage it obviously, and you have to make a good strike to get a result. But what I would suggest is that when you get your wedge set up sorted, to commit to what you have in the bag and learn how to control one club as a 'go to' club.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Until last week I had

PW (43) GW (50) SW (54) and LW (58)

I changed them to

43 50 then 56

Found I don't use the LW much during the winter and the extra loft on the SW would help in the bunkers

Will add a 60 if I feel I need one but doubt it