Wedges - I'm a hypocrite!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Having gone on record more than once to the effect that nobody should need more than three wedges I'm about to acquire a fourth. The pitching wedge in my new set of Wilson D7s is 43°. This means that I now go 43, 50, 58 (Sand Wedge). I am finding lots of shots of around 100 yards & under where I can't reach with the 50° wedge & struggle to take enough off the pitching wedge. I have a Vokey 46° which I propose to have bent to 48, & will have the 50 increased to 52. This will give me 43, 48, 52 & 58. I'll need to drop the 4 iron or, more likely, the 3 or 5 wood.

A mate of mine has recently acquired 64° wedge which he swears by. Now which club can I leave out to accommodate one of those?

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I've had 4 wedges for a while now, with modern strongly lofted irons, really think you need them. 5 wedges! Go for it :p:p:p

D

Deleted member 21258

With all those wedges, there wont be a need for a set of irons soon.

Just saying :D

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The PW at 43° is just plain silly. I guess you have to look at wedges as an extension of the iron set. The Wilson set is realistically lacking a PW so you need to buy a 48° club to fill that gap. Smoke and mirrors.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The PW at 43° is just plain silly. I guess you have to look at wedges as an extension of the iron set. The Wilson set is realistically lacking a PW so you need to buy a 48° club to fill that gap. Smoke and mirrors.

So true, back in the 1970s an 8 iron was typically 44 degrees.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was worried when I had my pw in my Titleist at 43 degree with my gap at 50

Turns out made bugger all difference and I got same distance as my 46 vokey

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I was under no illusion. I know I've got a 3 to 9 iron set but the beauty is that the longest club is easier to hit than the old 4 iron. The numbers on the clubs relate to the height they launch. I'd sooner be hitting a 4 iron into the wind than a hybrid.

peld

Visit site
I am waiting on my D7s to arrive. I ordered 5 to GW. So PW is 43*, GW is 48*, i then added a PMP 56* wedge, and will keep my 60* LW. In hindsight I probably should have gone 54* Wedge, but i dont think my game is precise enough anyway!

Wolf

Visit site
43° PW - That is a strong and I though mine at 45° was strong.

Based on how it seems you're hitting the new irons I'd probably drop the 5 wood.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
43° PW - That is a strong and I though mine at 45° was strong.

Based on how it seems you're hitting the new irons I'd probably drop the 5 wood.

There's a difference between actual loft and dynamic loft, I've been told. It might say 43* but launch more like 48* because of COG etc.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely makes sense to sort that end of your bag. How often do you really play a 5 wood or 3 iron / hybrid to a number? Sure it would be nice to know it went exactly 215, or whatever, but the chances of hitting that with the 1 or 2 shots a round you might need to are slim.

I have had a problem with 100 yards. I had a wedge lesson at the start of the year where we worked out that my 50 degree was going to be short of 100 yards. And my PW was just over.

So we worked out the best thing to do was to take a bit off a PW.

Problem is that was when it was cold and damp. I played last week in 14 degrees and was hitting my PW 115. It may be that my 50 does go 100 in decent weather, but I always feel comfortably hitting a nice controlled shot with a bit off it, rather than really stepping on one.