Wedges from a tee

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the things about not using a tee for short irons is that it allows grass to get trapped between the ball and the grooves and makes the spin level less predictable.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I always use one, but I may push it right into the ground so it's only a milimetre or two above the ground. Depending on yardage as well I may tee up a couple of milimetres higher to get more height and take a couple of yards off it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
two of our par 3's are 160 ish off the white and if the flag is at the front and wind dependent you are sometimes hitting a Gap wedge esp the 4th. I would use a tee, though it would be a very low one

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I’m heading to a little 9 hole par 3 course on Saturday. Plenty of opportunity to try a tee. Think I mistakenly thought that the tee would have a detrimental effect on a speciality wedge.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would always use a tee - no matter what club. Why would you not want a perfect lie?

It seems to be the general consensus but the logic is not clear to me. I don't use a tee for anything above 7 iron. I get a perfect lie by pacing the ball on the tee box. If someone throws it down and rolls it into position then OK, there not getting the potential better lie, but teeing a ball up a couple of mm's is no advantage to placing it on a nice piece of turf.

I spend my time trying to perfect an iron swing to contact a ball on the ground. I find it easier to do this 100% of the time. I play with people who tee it up a good 1/2 - 1 inch. I would have to make an adjustment to my swing to hit a ball with an iron that high up. Makes no sense to me

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Possibly, but why risk the ball shifting slightly just before you hit it...
I don’t just throw the ball down.
I just can’t see the point in using a tee if you’re going to push the tee balls deep.

But I’m not very good at golf so hey ho 🤷‍♂️