Wedges from a tee

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do you use a tee when hitting your speciality wedges from the tee box?

My 44* PW is a game improvement type iron which feels fine off the tee. My 48,52, and 56 wedges are vokeys/rtx 2.0s and ive never hit them from a tee. It feels weird thinking about hitting them from the tee. Maybe it’s the loom of them or something.

Is there a advantage/disadvantage to it?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
On my current course there's no hole that j would use less than a 9 iron on u less we're on temps..
But my previous course had a couple of 120 Hardee's and I remember playing one of them in a pretty strong down wind with a front pin and soft fringes so you had to carry all the way.
Got my 50°, put a ball on a very low tee and launched it.
Dropped and stopped pin high and just right.

I think a lot depends on the quality of the tee area.
I'll generally use a tee for any tee shot, the shorter the club the lower the tee to, barely a mm or two for a 9 or wedge....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only time I never use a tee is with my 19 degree rescue when I am trying to hit a very low shot in to the wind.

With irons (including wedges) my tee height is such that it equates to a really good lie on grass.

D

Deleted Member 1156

With irons (including wedges) my tee height is such that it equates to a really good lie on grass.

This for me too. Our shortest par 3 plays around 155 minimum uphill and into any prevailing wind so a wedge is out of the question.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
One course I play 2/3 times a year has a 120yd ish super downhill par 3. It's a sand wedge most of the time. I've always teed the ball up. Why wouldn't you?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
You have to be a good ball striker to not use a tee imo.
If you watch Mark Crossfield videos Rory who’s a 7 handicapper doesn’t use a tee and is one of the worst for fats,thins and duffs.
Myself personally will use a tee 99% of the time.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My thinking is basically, a tee lets you decide exactly the lie you have, for free. Why wouldn't you take that advantage.

Always use one, our shortest par 3 is 95 yards, tee everytime. I quite enjoy watching people "not bother" and then miss the green.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Wasn't it Jack Nicklaus that said you only get 18 perfect lies per round so why not take them....or words to that effect?

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
His height is my height, except when I'm hitting my 2 iron from the tee, but that's not usually on par 3s :rolleyes:

Wolf

Visit site
Jack once said, from the tee is the only time you get to have the perfect lie, why would you not take advantage of it.
I remember being 14 years old and reading that exact tip in an old golf magazine my dad had lying around and ever since always used a tee on every tee shot no matter what club I use, just varying the height of the tee depending on the club being hit.