wedges, ease of use

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I dont tend to have a formula for which club to use. I just look at the distance, the balls lie, the weather conditions, the shape of shot needed and my subconscious mind tells me the club to use and what type of swing is required.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
How often do you see pro's lay up to a full wedge shot as their fav distance? All the time./

Actually, quite rarely!

Some lay up to a full lob wedge, but that tends to also be pretty much a 3/4 Gap, half PW or similar, so a very convenient distance.

The guns don't actually like full wedges as they tend to get too much action (uncontrolled) so results are less predictable.

Having spent quite a while in the Pelz Finesse swing camp, I'd sooner hit an adjusted 3/4 (10:30) 9 iron than a full PW (there's 5 yards difference normally).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's a good question because it covers such a wide range of issues!

Starting with 96, if I have plently of green short etc I would probably just take the GW and settle for the 12ft putt; there might be a bit of a gremlin in the head suggesting I put a little more into it, and to be honest I have a lot of scope for that really, but I would like to think I would just accept 12' - I can say this with a little confidence as I had exactly this on the 17th today and the numbers came up 96 from an excellent lie 2ft off the fairway so I rationalised that it might not sit straight away and hit 'normally' - it stopped in 6" and came up 10ft short, which I am afraid I missed (but it was for birdie). If I had to carry 94 (say) then I'm up to a PW, down the shaft a little, and swing normally.
86 and I will just go down the grip about 2 inches on the GW and hit normally.

the more shots I can play from a standard stance, normal swing, the easier the game is - there's plenty of opportunity for a bit higher, a bit lower, or even as once today a complete 'slash at it off the front foot' when I needed 140 to make a green over a ditch but had to clear a tree in my way - a 7 wasn't going to clear the tree and an 8 wasn't the right club hit normally; it got there though :)

I'm all for a full shot , but then i don't have much more that 3 though to 9 o'clock anyway.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never bought into this idea that you shouldn't hit full shots with wedges.

Neither do I, I just prefer the 3/4 shot with a 9 iron over a full 52 and I think others rarely consider those shots. I play 3/4 shots all the way up to my 7 iron in normal approach play . When I played it was at a windy inland links and it worked for me. If I was playing a parkland course in calm conditions I would hit more full wedges.

Fit your game plan to both your strengths and the course in front of you.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Neither do I, I just prefer the 3/4 shot with a 9 iron over a full 52 and I think others rarely consider those shots. I play 3/4 shots all the way up to my 7 iron in normal approach play . When I played it was at a windy inland links and it worked for me. If I was playing a parkland course in calm conditions I would hit more full wedges.

Fit your game plan to both your strengths and the course in front of you.

the Op was about wedges so if you want to play 7 irons thats up to you shirley;)

as Lenny Kravitz would " what i really wanna know is " whats an inland links?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I dont tend to have a formula for which club to use. I just look at the distance, the balls lie, the weather conditions, the shape of shot needed and my subconscious mind tells me the club to use and what type of swing is required.

Whilst I agree with that it must be based loosely on how far you think/know that your clubs go ie: I know my stock 7-iron goes 160yds so I might play it from 130yds into a moderate headwind, or might sting an 8 iron. It would take a hooley before I reached for the 5-iron.

Back to the OP... I don't think it matters if you're just a beginner.. you're probably going to fat or thin any club :D

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Thanks jo, not quite a beginner though........ :)

Oops :D I don't look at forum sigs unless someone is buying Miura's :D

I don't think anything is easier or harder to hit per se, in my opinion it's whether the weight of the club suits you... I've never gotten on well with Vokeys, there's just something about them that doesn't fit with the feel I'm after into impact.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
aye maybe that would be a better way to look at it jo,
ive struggled with vokeys in the past, and dont seem to be getting the most out of my mizunos, so may have to go back to cleveland, or maybe shaft change.
its definately more the touch shots or finesse shots, as some times im seve esq, others im severly awful, and recently to much of the later.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
aye maybe that would be a better way to look at it jo,
ive struggled with vokeys in the past, and dont seem to be getting the most out of my mizunos, so may have to go back to cleveland, or maybe shaft change.
its definately more the touch shots or finesse shots, as some times im seve esq, others im severly awful, and recently to much of the later.

Whats the problem with the Mizuno wedges then?

I have to say i've the MP10 and i even have a pair of new ones put aside as spares when the current wear out. IMO they are the best i;ve had.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
patrick, i changed mpt10 to the mpt11, thinking they would be very similar, but they really are diff, grooves i guess.
but i just dont feel happy with them, i have an mpt 10 50 in the bag atm and its great on full shots but no confidence on the half shots.
it probs boils down to practice, to build confidence, but time has been in short supply recently, plus they have put down mats at our short game area which is a joke, been there all year aparently the young lads ruind the area through the summer last year and it never got back to normal this year so mats went in and we are not meant to practice on course, nightmare :(

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
patrick, i changed mpt10 to the mpt11, thinking they would be very similar, but they really are diff, grooves i guess.
but i just dont feel happy with them, i have an mpt 10 50 in the bag atm and its great on full shots but no confidence on the half shots.
it probs boils down to practice, to build confidence, but time has been in short supply recently, plus they have put down mats at our short game area which is a joke, been there all year aparently the young lads ruind the area through the summer last year and it never got back to normal this year so mats went in and we are not meant to practice on course, nightmare :(

Mats can be tricky things. I've got a pretty big garden so i tend to do any practice there if needed, but i don't tend to do anything practice wise esp not winter. The wife has a few raised beds in one corner that are a full wedge shot away fron the corner of the lawn, thats been targeted more the once;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I thought it was funny.... several others STILL think it's funny. It's going alongside Gibbo and his eBay purchases in the echelons of forum classics ;)

Why worry? You have your clubs... I couldn't even afford one :angry: (not jealous... not jealous.... not jealous.....) ;)

S

Snelly

I think it is funny peculiar that a 27 handicapper wants or feels the need for a Miura wedge.

Still, we are all free to waste our hard earned shekels on whatever we wish of course.

Some people are mad enough to buy books and DVD's about stack and tilt too and that is funny. Hilarious in fact.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think it is funny peculiar that a 27 handicapper wants or feels the need for a Miura wedge.

Still, we are all free to waste our hard earned shekels on whatever we wish of course.

Some people are mad enough to buy books and DVD's about stack and tilt too and that is funny. Hilarious in fact.

Oy!!!!!!!

I don't use shekels :mad:;)