wedges, ease of use

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep usually the wedges that come included with iron sets are big chunky things. The TM ATV is also supposedly very forgiving for a wedge. I cant see any reason for needing forgivness in a wedge personally as most of the shots are feel/delicate shots.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a jpx wedge and a mp t 11 wedge. The jpx is definately easier to hit on those off days but the mp t 11 looks prettier at address.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bw, i have got to the stage where i have had so many wedges i dont mind if they are hockey sticks as long as they do what i tell thhem lol,
gareth, i can hit a 3 iron butter knife with relative ease but a wedge is a diff ball game, the margin for error with a long iron over a wedge is immense if you want to score well.
part of the reason i got thinking is that i used a set of ap 1 irons for a round, so easy to hit, mis hits were minimal, but bump and runs were easy, 8 iron was like a magic wand round the green, i pulled it before my putter from the fringe and i putt well. so really got me thinking, looks are not everything.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a jpx wedge and a mp t 11 wedge. The jpx is definately easier to hit on those off days but the mp t 11 looks prettier at address.

This is sort of where I am. I find the cavity PW that came with my MX25s is nicer for full shots (especially in winter!) but prefer the more precise look and "feel" of my Tour Style blade GW for the little finesse shots around the green.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my opinion, once you have a solid(ish) golf swing, full wedge shots are a rare thing, unless the shot is a carry over bunker/water/other trouble.

A forgiving wedge is great for beginners who cannot finesse a half 8 iron and generally don't get the height anyway. Once you become somewhere near accomplished the benefits of a bladed wedge become obvious once you are within 50 yards of a green.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
gareth, i can hit a 3 iron butter knife with relative ease but a wedge is a diff ball game, the margin for error with a long iron over a wedge is immense if you want to score well.

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I mean, shouldn't a 3 iron be harder to hit than a 52* GW?

Compare the head sizes, shaft length and loft I would "assume" a wedge would be much easier to hit.

As an asside. I too have no problems hitting my MP32 3 iron. I'm obviously less consistant with it then my gap wedge for the reason(s) mentioned above.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
In my opinion, once you have a solid(ish) golf swing, full wedge shots are a rare thing, unless the shot is a carry over bunker/water/other trouble.

A forgiving wedge is great for beginners who cannot finesse a half 8 iron and generally don't get the height anyway. Once you become somewhere near accomplished the benefits of a bladed wedge become obvious once you are within 50 yards of a green.

What a load of rubbish!

How often do you see pro's lay up to a full wedge shot as their fav distance? All the time.

In fact a full shot with a wedge is much easier than any other. The biigest improvment to my game this year has been from full wedge shots at 70- 85 with my sand wedge and 85- 105 with my gap wedge. on a full shot i'm never more than 15 feet away from the flag on a full shot.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site

Don't get this logic SB??

As I've got better, I am hitting more and more full wedges. Better ball striking from the tee means more distance which, in turn means shorter approaches and therefore a lot more wedges.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't get this logic SB??

As I've got better, I am hitting more and more full wedges. Better ball striking from the tee means more distance which, in turn means shorter approaches and therefore a lot more wedges.

Just different approaches, my full wedges balloon so I score better with 1/2 and 3/4 shots. If you get a nice controlled wedge flight then don't waste it!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

I've never bought into this idea that you shouldn't hit full shots with wedges. They're the same as any club, if you hit a full shot with a 9 iron, why not hit a full shot with a PW or GW? It's the same as the difference between the 5 iron and the 7 or 8 irons........
Trying to cosy a 3/4 9 iron to a pin means having to trust feel. Hitting a full PW means having to hit a normal shot.
If I have 88 yards to a pin, like I did Friday on a par 5, I have no problem hitting a full 54 degree SW - why not? It bounced twice, rolled a bit and went in for an Eagle. If I'd tried to "cosy" a PW in, chances are are I wouldn't have been as close. OK it's a fortunate shot to hole-out from 88 yards but I felt more comfortable using the 54 and hitting a normal shot than manipulating a different club.
That's why we have different lofts - to hit the ball different distances. Pick the club that will move the ball the distance required and keep the swing as normal as possible. Otherwise you may as well just have 2 irons and vary your swing accordingly.........

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
i have no probs with full shots with the wedges but ive a toich like an elephant sometimes when hitting half shots.
the scope for mis hits with a wedge is far laess than with a longer iron, so ease of use has to come into it.
my aim from 100 yards and in is ten feet, thats not always where i am obviously, but thats what im targeting, from around the green im looking a bin lid , but from 200 yards im happy on the gree, so margin for error is far greater with longer clubs

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never bought into this idea that you shouldn't hit full shots with wedges. They're the same as any club, if you hit a full shot with a 9 iron, why not hit a full shot with a PW or GW? It's the same as the difference between the 5 iron and the 7 or 8 irons........
Trying to cosy a 3/4 9 iron to a pin means having to trust feel. Hitting a full PW means having to hit a normal shot.
If I have 88 yards to a pin, like I did Friday on a par 5, I have no problem hitting a full 54 degree SW - why not? It bounced twice, rolled a bit and went in for an Eagle. If I'd tried to "cosy" a PW in, chances are are I wouldn't have been as close. OK it's a fortunate shot to hole-out from 88 yards but I felt more comfortable using the 54 and hitting a normal shot than manipulating a different club.
That's why we have different lofts - to hit the ball different distances. Pick the club that will move the ball the distance required and keep the swing as normal as possible. Otherwise you may as well just have 2 irons and vary your swing accordingly.........

100% :)

part of the issue in such discussions is what constitutes a full shot IMO - to some this is a flat out swing (whatever that means!) and to others it's what they have established as the optimum swing for them to provide repeatability - it's still their full shot in this context.

I don't however understand Patrick's post when listing 85 -105 for a full gap wedge; in the contxt of his post this doesn't seem to make sense. My full gap wedge is 91 yds, my full SW is 77 yds (the actual numbers don't matter to anyone but me :)) with conditions etc all having to be taken into account when calculating the actual yardage on any particular shot of course.

Give me 91 yds to the flag and I'll be smiling loads :whoo:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
100% :)

I don't however understand Patrick's post when listing 85 -105 for a full gap wedge; in the contxt of his post this doesn't seem to make sense. My full gap wedge is 91 yds, my full SW is 77 yds (the actual numbers don't matter to anyone but me :)) with conditions etc all having to be taken into account when calculating the actual yardage on any particular shot of course.

Give me 91 yds to the flag and I'll be smiling loads :whoo:

Purely conditions and stance related, for instance higher or lower flight, or ball forward or back in stance this allows me to use a full swing. on a freezing cold day a full gw might only go 85 where as summer (if we have one ) it goes 105.
If that makes sense?

It does in my head anyway.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Purely conditions and stance related, for instance higher or lower flight, or ball forward or back in stance this allows me to use a full swing. on a freezing cold day a full gw might only go 85 where as summer (if we have one ) it goes 105.
If that makes sense?

It does in my head anyway.

put that way yes - thanks :)

I suppose it's just a different way of looking at it - I see one specific underlying 'normal' yardage to a normal full shot and normalise my shot for the conditions because I find it easier. equally moving the ball in the stance, or otherwise adjusting the swing, and it's no longer 'a normal full shot'

thanks again

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
put that way yes - thanks :)

I suppose it's just a different way of looking at it - I see one specific underlying 'normal' yardage to a normal full shot and normalise my shot for the conditions because I find it easier. equally moving the ball in the stance, or otherwise adjusting the swing, and it's no longer 'a normal full shot'

thanks again

No problem.

I little question for you, what whould you hit from 82 yards or 96 yards?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
No problem.

I little question for you, what whould you hit from 82 yards or 96 yards?

It's a good question because it covers such a wide range of issues!

Starting with 96, if I have plently of green short etc I would probably just take the GW and settle for the 12ft putt; there might be a bit of a gremlin in the head suggesting I put a little more into it, and to be honest I have a lot of scope for that really, but I would like to think I would just accept 12' - I can say this with a little confidence as I had exactly this on the 17th today and the numbers came up 96 from an excellent lie 2ft off the fairway so I rationalised that it might not sit straight away and hit 'normally' - it stopped in 6" and came up 10ft short, which I am afraid I missed (but it was for birdie). If I had to carry 94 (say) then I'm up to a PW, down the shaft a little, and swing normally.
86 and I will just go down the grip about 2 inches on the GW and hit normally.

the more shots I can play from a standard stance, normal swing, the easier the game is - there's plenty of opportunity for a bit higher, a bit lower, or even as once today a complete 'slash at it off the front foot' when I needed 140 to make a green over a ditch but had to clear a tree in my way - a 7 wasn't going to clear the tree and an 8 wasn't the right club hit normally; it got there though :)