Wedge Shafts - What difference would you expect?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
One for the shaft gurus on here.

For the last 18 months, I've played Cleveland 588 RTX wedges with True Temper wedge flex shafts which, as I recall, play to S200.

Before this I've always had Wedge flex shafts from True Temper in most of my previous wedges.

This week I picked up a set of Vokey SM5's (Thanks again Piece :thup: ) that have Project X 5.5 shafts.

These feel shafts feel considerably different to the True Temper and are delivering some surprising results.

The ball is spinning much more than previously on almost all shots. From 3/4 - full swings right down to green side. Flight is noticeably higher too, which I quite like.

I was quite surprised by this so went back to the course later in the afternoon to do a side-by-side comparison.

On comparable strikes the Vokeys definitely spin much more than the Clevelands.

Could this be down to the difference in shafts?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
PX is a counterbalanced shaft, so weight in the butt. This with your swing characteristics could be doing something. Do the two clubs have the same bounce?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
TT wedge flex is basically S200 isn't it..?
So PX should launch higher with a bit more spin but flatten out and the wedge flex TT launches lower with lower spin...Shouldn't it..?
Are the PX Flighted..?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
One for the shaft gurus on here.

For the last 18 months, I've played Cleveland 588 RTX wedges with True Temper wedge flex shafts which, as I recall, play to S200.

Before this I've always had Wedge flex shafts from True Temper in most of my previous wedges.

This week I picked up a set of Vokey SM5's (Thanks again Piece :thup: ) that have Project X 5.5 shafts.

These feel shafts feel considerably different to the True Temper and are delivering some surprising results.

The ball is spinning much more than previously on almost all shots. From 3/4 - full swings right down to green side. Flight is noticeably higher too, which I quite like.

I was quite surprised by this so went back to the course later in the afternoon to do a side-by-side comparison.

On comparable strikes the Vokeys definitely spin much more than the Clevelands.

Could this be down to the difference in shafts?

I found the opposite - though that was a long time ago and I believe the PX have changed from the 'old' style.

But in reality, does it matter? You now have a set that fits you better (presumably) so stick with that! Donald Rumsfeld (of known/unknown fame) was never a great golfer!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
TT wedge flex is basically S200 isn't it..?
So PX should launch higher with a bit more spin but flatten out and the wedge flex TT launches lower with lower spin...Shouldn't it..?
Are the PX Flighted..?

No Ian. Stock 5.5. Not flighted.

Where they really came into their element was green side. They produce much more spin than the Clevelands. You can actually see the spin taking effect , sitting the ball down.