Wedge distance loss.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Those of you that know me and my game will remember that I'm keen on knowing distances and plot my way around the course to leave wedges to long holes or holes where I've messed up.
Anyway, last few games, I seem to have lost about 10-20% distance with my wedges and have been landing way short....some so short, I've needed to chip from a few yards short of the fringe....making "easy" bogeys a bit more fraught than normal, in fact, not easy at all.

Does anyone have a clue as to some ideas to get back on form?....or should I just club up until the warmer weather and not try to force the issue?

PS it is noticeable in all my short irons and I'm taking bigger divots though not thinning or fatting....:D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Are you coming in fractionally steeper than normal then and has the ball position changed at all. I'm guessing an extra club and a smooth 3/4 swing will do the trick until you can get to the bottom of it

B

birdieman

Possibly releasing the clubhead too soon (timing off) or not getting through the ball correctly i.e. weight onto left side and facing target at finish.

Sure it will sort itself out with some playing.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Could just have the ball a few inches forward thereby hitting it higher with less carry.

Sorry, but if the op is taking deep divots it's unlikely he has the ball too far forward.
If there were no divots I think you'd be spot on.

I put it down to the cold or old age (that's my excuse) :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think bob, redwood and birdie have together solved the mystery.
1) I'm cold, the ball is cold, and I'm not exactly up to full speed a.t.m.
2) Soggy conditions are certainly part of it. Normally, a wedge will bounce once then stop, except at the moment, they seem to land and if not plug, then almost plug
3) I agree about the timing aspect too....I do feel like something is "off", like coming over the top maybe, with such a lofted club, the ball is holding it's line as it's not like noticeable side-spin is affecting the ball....so I could be cutting across it a little and not know?? :D

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think bob, redwood and birdie have together solved the mystery.
1) I'm cold, the ball is cold, and I'm not exactly up to full speed a.t.m.
2) Soggy conditions are certainly part of it. Normally, a wedge will bounce once then stop, except at the moment, they seem to land and if not plug, then almost plug
3) I agree about the timing aspect too....I do feel like something is "off", like coming over the top maybe, with such a lofted club, the ball is holding it's line as it's not like noticeable side-spin is affecting the ball....so I could be cutting across it a little and not know?? :D

all of the above, plus the extra layers are turning RGD's natural free flowing swing as lumpy as a bag of carrots?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
all of the above, plus the extra layers are turning RGD's natural free flowing swing as lumpy as a bag of carrots?

Yes, true. I have been rather "Michelin" of late....4 layers before the waterproof top gets a look in!!!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
so I could be cutting across it a little and not know??

Check the direction of your divots :)

I'll do this tomorrow.

Maybe I should have looked at this one.

Nasty, nasty 50 yarder out of a MASSIVE BUNKER. Decided to take a PW and catch it fairly clean....

LAbunkershot.jpg

Pin high.....7 foot right, missed the par putt.....oh, well, can't have it all.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Nasty, nasty 50 yarder out of a MASSIVE BUNKER. Decided to take a PW and catch it fairly clean....

LAbunkershot.jpg

Pin high.....7 foot right, missed the par putt.....oh, well, can't have it all.

Nice... looks like you held the face open lovely.

Have to agree with Homer though...
With about an acre of sand in the picture you should have tried to avoid it! :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice... looks like you held the face open lovely.

Have to agree with Homer though...
With about an acre of sand in the picture you should have tried to avoid it! :D

I know! The bunker is across the entire fairway and has 2 paths through it (you can see one behind me). I only had 160 yards (uphill, mind you) to the green, caught it a bit thin and hit the lip....

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Damn fine effort.

The photo that is.

Who's your partner? Or do you employ a professional photographer to follow you round just for when you play a world class shot?

:cool:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Damn fine effort.

The photo that is.

Who's your partner? Or do you employ a professional photographer to follow you round just for when you play a world class shot?

:cool:

LOL.. :)

A photographer would be wasted on my "hit rate" of good shots. It was taken by one of my party that couldn't/didn't play in a match we had at an Open Q venue. He caught some beauties as well (shots, not ladies, I hasten...)

I also have one of me a split second before I hit a great hybrid shot into one of the greens.

Maybe the added pressure makes me think a bit better than normal. :D