Wedge choices

Chumpalot83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm slowly adding clubs one by one to my bag (see below) and next up on the list is a wedge. I'm not wanting to spend the earth particularly, I'm not one of those who fall into the 'all the gear and no idea' bracket. Something reasonably good given my current skill level.

I'm after a wedge best suited to get me out of the sand. Would this be a 60'? Whilst I'm OK at getting it off the beach with a PW I'd like to start honing my skills with a wedge so I can just pop it up. I'd like to end up with a few wedges in the bag but for now one that'll help with the above will be sufficient.

All ideas and comments welcome :)

Thanks very much

David

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Something along the lines of a 56 degree wedge with 8 or more degrees of bounce would do grand, a 60 out of the bunkers actually leaves more room for mistakes in my opinion. Brand shouldnt matter, whatever feels best in your hands. Most pro shops will have a small selection of new and used wedges that you could get your hands on them. and have a waggle.

Chumpalot83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys. Regarding the loft and bounce. I understand the differences with loft (probably just as well otherwise I shouldn't be playing golf!). What are the differences in the 'bounce' degrees and what part of the club is different depending on this value?

Thanks

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
56* is the normal SW. Some use 60* either for specific situations (up against the face) or always. Others use a 58, with a relevant grind, that covers both Sand and Lob situations.

Depends really on the type of sand you encounter most as to what will be most suitable - though I've seen a hole with 3 completely different types of 'sand' in green-side bunkers!

Whichever loft (and bounce) option you choose, learn how to use the bounce to smoothly pop the ball up on a bed of sand (the club only rarely actually comes into contact with the ball) rather than trying to 'help' the ball out.

Last edited:

Chumpalot83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
56* is the normal SW. Some use 60* either for specific situations (up against the face) or always. Others use a 58, with a relevant grind, that covers both Sand and Lob situations.

Depends really on the type of sand you encounter most as to what will be most suitable - though I've seen a hole with 3 completely different types of 'sand' in green-side bunkers!

Whichever loft (and bounce) option you choose, learn how to use the bounce to smoothly pop the ball up on a bed of sand (the club only rarely actually comes into contact with the ball) rather than trying to 'help' the ball out.

Thanks for the reply.

I was reading a thread yesterday on how to shoot from the sand. Basically getting the club around 2 inches behind the ball to drive down under it and create a wave of sand to pop it up.

Sounds easy.... :mmm: