Wedge Choice 60deg - A quick Round-Robin

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys, Your valuable input needed.....

A quick round robin on which 60 degree wedge you use and do you recommend it? I currently use 2 Mizuno Raw Haze wedges and am looking to add a 60 degree wedge, before i just add another Mizzy any other suggestions on what to buy?

Cheers Guys. :)

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
Dont use one, but I do have an X-Tour 58 degree. I can do one of four shots with it..

1. Lovely lob onto the green with back spin.
2. The ball goes 20 yards and is over taken by turf that could re lay my lawn
3. It goes double the distance I meant to hit it.
4. It zooms off to the right with more side spin than a frisbie.

I prefer option 1, but as I cant always make sure this happens, I only get it out if I have to at the moment.

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dont use one, but I do have an X-Tour 58 degree. I can do one of four shots with it..

1. Lovely lob onto the green with back spin.
2. The ball goes 20 yards and is over taken by turf that could re lay my lawn
3. It goes double the distance I meant to hit it.
4. It zooms off to the right with more side spin than a frisbie.

I prefer option 1, but as I cant always make sure this happens, I only get it out if I have to at the moment.

Ouch! I dont think i will use it actively until a little practise is done, however i am sure the occasion it stops and spins puts that golfing grin on your face like no other shot! :D

Maybe i could ask in the shop if they sell one that only gives 'option 1'! :rolleyes:

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have had a few and binned the lot as I wasted more shots than I saved using it. ......... BUT ......... I got a new one last week (Cleveland CG11) as the bunkers at my new course are steeper than I have played in the past and I need the Xtra loft to get out of them. I will NOT be using it off the turf though.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have a Nike Tour SV, lovely club but too inconsistent to use regularly so only usually comes out if I need to get out of a steep bunker. May use it more as i get better but at the moment a chip and run is a better option for me.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got a new one last week (Cleveland CG11) as the bunkers at my new course are steeper than I have played in the past and I need the Xtra loft to get out of them.

I too have the CG11 in 60 degree loft, and it is brilliant out of bunkers, and around the green (definitely worth giving a go in my opinion althoguh I am sure you know far more about it than me) but I never ever use it for full shots.

As for what wedge to actually buy...look no further, black pearl version £39.99 and an absolute steal at that price.

Lloydy84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i have an old cleveland 588, great for shotmaking, wouldn't reccomend hitting a full shot with it though, that goes for any 60deg wedge.

D

Deleted member 1147

I use the Calloway X Tour 60 degree.

I recommend it whole heartedly - it spins like mad, but rips up soft balls terribly!

Prubs

Club Champion
Visit site
As you can see from my sig, i use mizzy mpr 60* but I also have a 64* which I use,(royal porthcawl has some very deep bunkers, as I am only 5 foot 6 I need all the loft I can.lol) One thing i have noticed is noone has said how much bounce their wedges has? below is a small article explaining bounce and why we should consider this in when buying one........

As a general rule of thumb if you play on a course with a harder turf and firmer sand in the traps you should be using wedges with less bounce. The lower amount of bounce will help the clubs leading edge dig down easier into the turf and through the rest of the shot.

On the contrary if you play on a course with softer turf conditions and fluffy sand then you should be using wedges with a little more bounce as this will help prevent the club digging to deeply into the ground thus causing the dreaded fat shot.

In terms of selecting your golf clubs to suit the style of your swing there is also a general rule to follow. Golfers with a steeper or more upright swings will tend to do better with a little more golf wedge bounce because it will prevent their clubs from digging too deep in the ground on the downswing.(also known as “Diggers”) On the other hand those players who have a flatter, more sweeping swing will fare better with wedges with a little less bounce. This will help avoid skidding off the ground with the club and making contact with the middle of the ball. This is other wise known to golfers as skulling or blading a shot. (known as “Sweepers”)

If you aren’t sure which category you fall into there’s a simple way to find out. Just go to your local driving range or practice area and hit a few balls with your higher lofted clubs. Then take a look at your divots and use Mother Nature as your own form of technology. If you’re taking long deep divots this is a sign of a digger. If you’re taking thin shallow or even no divots at all then this is a sign of a sweeper.

Once you recognize your swing type and course conditions it is fairly simple to decide on the amount of golf wedge bounce angle that you need. With this information you or you local pro should be able to fit your wedges perfectly to your game and you’ll be on your way to shooting lower scores.

Hope this helps....Rob