Wedge bounce

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm sure this would of been asked before but how do they make the same degree of wedge with different bounce. Is it to do with the angle of the grooves?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sure this would of been asked before but how do they make the same degree of wedge with different bounce. Is it to do with the angle of the grooves?

yep you will get similar lofts with different º's of bounce from most oem's.

no it's nothing to do with the angle of the club (as in 'set' loft) as such, or the grooves.

at it's basics it's to do with how 'big' or not the flange is (the bulge at the bottom & back of the sole = bounce)
there will be different grinds to this as well to help with how the club 'sits' at address, how it moves through the turf/sand.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So what would be best to move through turf and sand. Low or high bounce?

fraid that's dependent on a bunch of things, such as how steep your swing motion is. what type of course you play re normal ground conditions. what the sand is like in the bunkers etc.

steep swing big divots you better off with some more bounce, shallower arc so you just a 'scrape' or so turf after strike you better off with less bounce.

deep sandy bunkers more bounce.
you have a Pro that knows your swing motion, where you play most just ask for advice best ways.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't really take a divet when chipping so I guess one with less bounce then?

re divots was speaking to the full, 3/4 shots with your wedges.

but with chipping as you starting off depends on your action some & what the ground is like.
if you tend to stick the leading edge in the turf & fat a fair amount of short chips/pitches - you'd probably be a little ways better off with some bounce there, but if say you can chip okay with an 8i you could try lower bounce.

getting advice from your local Pro good ways to go, if possible.

or stick to medium bounce - with Clevelands that would be '2 dots' - if you look at their spec sheets will give you a general ball park in degrees.

lot of sand in the bunkers you normally play - you will need some bounce to help go through the sand.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Interesting this shows we should all have lots of different bounce wedges for summer and winter.

According to this a 14 degree wedge where your fairways are soft in the winter would be absolutely
useless in the summer.

So is the answer to buy medium bounce or become the third option a "shotmaker".

I have just bought a Mizuno 54/12 and a Vokey 58/4 I went down the grass range
last week and used both in very soft conditions imo it didn't make a blind bit of difference
I just learnt to use both.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Interesting this shows we should all have lots of different bounce wedges for summer and winter.

According to this a 14 degree wedge where your fairways are soft in the winter would be absolutely
useless in the summer.

Not necessarily so! But if you are like me, and a 'picker', then almost certainly!

Oddly, this year I have used my (low bounce) 60* with surprising success. While the ground is pretty soft and conducive to digging, I seem to be sliding through rather well. I am using my 56/12 off soft fairways quite a lot though, something I would never contemplate in Summer

So is the answer to buy medium bounce or become the third option a "shotmaker".
I believe it's better to find out which style is right for you (and perhaps your course/the courses you play) and use that.

If you can adjust, then even better!

Last edited:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not necessarily so! But if you are like me, and a 'picker', then almost certainly!

Oddly, this year I have used my (low bounce) 60* with surprising success. While the ground is pretty soft and conducive to digging, I seem to be sliding through rather well. I am using my 56/12 off soft fairways quite a lot though, something I would never contemplate in Summer

I believe it's better to find out which style is right for you (and perhaps your course/the courses you play) and use that.

If you can adjust, then even better!

My course is parkland and so very soft.
Using two different bounces of 4 and 14 atm.
Im learning to adapt as im a massive digger.
As the ground gets harder the 14 degree could get interesting.

Would be interesting to get a links players point of view and what bounce is good for them.

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just brought a Cleveland cg16 58-8 wedge brand new for £30. If I fail and don't love it, it's not like it's cost a fortune hopefully have it by Friday so I can go practice chipping with it😊

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In my experience, Using the higher bounce clubs only becomes a problem on dry turf when you try to open the blade up.