Wedge advice

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I currently have a 45* PW, 55* SW and 60* LW and I know that it isn't the ideal set up - particularly as I can't hit the lob wedge consitently!

With my birthday and Christmas approaching, I have convinced Mrs S to give me money for some new wedges and was after some advice on loft. I was thinking 50, 54 and 58* but this would mean 3 new clubs, so woul 52 and 56*, keeping my existing lob wedge be a better option - allowing me to get a new hybrid instead?

Cheers for your help in advance

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you have a 45, then a 52 and a 58 would suit you just fine.
That will give you enough options without giving you too many.
Then sell the 60 and use the money on a wedge lesson

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers.Only trouble is the range I use has mats and I can hit the wedge ok from there, just struggle on grass as I tend to take a massive divot before the ball. This fault is masked at the range by sliding across the mat

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Cheers.Only trouble is the range I use has mats and I can hit the wedge ok from there, just struggle on grass as I tend to take a massive divot before the ball. This fault is masked at the range by sliding across the mat

Even more reason to have a lesson.
Buying more wedges wont stop you hitting the ground before the ball

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I will certainly take his advice, the point I was trying to make was the fact that any wedge lesson would be on a mat and not on grass so would be quite hard for me to see if I was striking the ball or the mat first. Might have to do a lot of practice in the garden and upset Mrs S!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I will certainly take his advice, the point I was trying to make was the fact that any wedge lesson would be on a mat and not on grass so would be quite hard for me to see if I was striking the ball or the mat first. Might have to do a lot of practice in the garden and upset Mrs S!

I think you'll know if you've hit the mat or the ball first by the sound and ball flight/distance.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am a massive lob wedge advocate but only if you can use it. In this case, bin it for a couple of years. its always a club you can go back to as you progress.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

as 'bobmac' has said your 45º with 52º & 58º a good way to go.
am pretty sure too any PGA Pro giving the lesson will notice the 'mat first' contact.
also you should be able to tell through the sound, mat first ball second will be a dull thud followed by the 'click' of metal on ball, instead of the click first, thud second.
tip at practice place a bag towel 2" back of the ball, you'll have to keep weight left, lead with the hands & trust the loft with a downward connected chest & arm swing to miss the towel so then miss the mat & strike ball first ground second.

on that issue, just make some half swings hip height to hip height where you leave your weight 75% on your left leg throughout the whole small swing motion (don't let any weight move to the right leg, don't sway the hips to the right in the backswing just turn the upperbody, & just connect the arm swing with an upper body chest turn both back & through - keeping head steady atop of the back of the ball - so your chest is facing target or even looking a little ways left of target. rhythm & balance connected chest & arm movement, don't just try to use independent arms & hands alone.

[video=youtube_share;jMILDiBpVJI]http://youtu.be/jMILDiBpVJI[/video]

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My PW is 46 degree and so 52 and 58 give me an even spacing. I've had a 60 LW before (and went 46, 52, 56 and 60) but in truth it cost me more shots than it saved and I can get more than enough loft if I open my 58 a little. If you are hitting heavy off grass then you do need a lesson as new clubs won't prevent the poor technique